Great recruiter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by col reb, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Founding Member

Yeah. By all the Florida schools too. He's been with the 49ers for about 4 years.

2. BB

BB Founding Member

I also think that demostrated leadership plays a big role in college athletics. Many of these highly talented kids crave great leadership deep down - they don't want direction, they want leadership - they don't want a high five, they want the pointed finger. There is a good reason that the Nick Sabans and Bobby Knights of the world can flip programs like burgers...

3. Tennessee Robb

Tennessee Robb Founding Member

Hey Mobile - Jimmy was more of an intellectual than most 4 star recruits. LSU (DiNardo) tried, but never really had a chance. I understand your point, and agree, I just inserted the Williams reminder because you can never say never.

Dinardo did a good job recruiting but lost some great ones and Saban did not really lose any great ones. (Stevie Lee @ Texas remains to be seen, but he's no Eli or Reggie Torbor) La. is so rich with football talent. I hope Miles can keep that "fence" around the border.

You should see the sorry state of high school football in TN. It's no wonder that Fullmer goes national every year.

4. col reb

col reb Founding Member

But what qualifies one as a great recruiter? Our new coach has been the top of the nation for the last two years. Could he have done that at OM, LSU, ALA, SO.MISS, TULANE? I might be able to sell the he!! out of toothbrushes but would starve to death trying to sell toothpicks. Reminds me of when I worked in BR. Had a job at a warehouse. People could walk in and buy x amount of whatever we had and then try to sell it door to door or anyother way. One day a guy came in that had a terrible speech impediment. He said, "Mr. Reb, please give me a job." I tried to tell him how hard sales was. He kept saying "Please give me a chance. I'll be the best salesman you ever had." I tried to tell him politely that the public was cruel. They would not be kind to someone with a speech impediment. Again--"please give me a chance." I told him to go out in the warehouse and pick out something he thought he could sell. Ten minutes later, he brought up 10,000 toothbrushes. I asked him if he realized how long it would take him to sell 10,000 toothbrushes. "Please let me try." OK...Two hours later, he came running in, giving me our money and wanting
    50,000 more toothbrushes. HURRY---HURRY---I told him NO--I knew he was trying to impress me by buying them himself. "No No Col." I went down to Cortana Mall and set up a really nice table. Put white linen table cloth on it. Put out a huge bowl of what looked like miniture meatballs on the table. Put out toothpicks and a sign that said "Free samples---help yourself!!!!!!!! Col.---people are GREEDY. They would take a toothpick and get 3, 4, even 5 of those little balls. Then they would start to chew and go "Phew---what is that? It taste like ****." I would tell them that is exactly what it was. "DO YOU WANT TO BUY A TOOTHBRUSH?"

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You qualify as a great recruiter if you prove you can recruit regardless of what school your recruiting for. Some schools with national prestige will sell themselves to kids - those coaches don't have to recruit as hard. A great recruiter could get a 5 star to commit to ULL (maybe a slight exageration).

6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

BIG EXAGERATION