Greatest Long Epic Song

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Louisiananimal

Louisiananimal Wesley Austin

Ted Nugent "Strangehold"... me and my father used to joke that the solo is seven minutes long... and Peter Frampton's "do you feel like we do"

2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

That was a great concert, and you and I must have done business with the same guy on the way in - cause I was totally blown away also. :hihi:

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Every Pink Floyd faithful knows that Syd Barrett was the original frontman, and was the true deranged heart of the band. Gilmour was a better sound than Waters, and more talented.

My all time favorite Floyd, "Careful with that axe Eugene...." perhaps the scariest scream of all time.

4. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Syd was also the 'inspirational subject' behind 'Wall' as well as many other songs by the group. Syd had 'Truly gone fishing'.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

While 100% correct, not many know who Syd was much less anything they ever did with him as the front man. They didn't hit the "big time" until Gilmour came along. I just don't like waters, some of it is okay but in my opinion it can't touch anything they did with DG.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Concur, Floyd sounded more like the Beatles with Syd as the frontman. To be honest the 2 best things that Syd did for Pink Floyd, was..........
    1. Eat to much acid, he doesn't do that, who knows if Gilmour ever joins the band.
    2. Influence Shine on you crazy diamond, which is about Syd.

Crazy stories about Syd, like even after he was out of the band, he would still show up at their shows and just walk around in the crowd staring at them on stage, and he was mentally fried at this point.

Another was when the band was recording Wish You Were Here, bald headed dude with shaved eyebrows was hanging around at Abbey Rd. and little did they know, and it was actually not until after he left, that the dude was Syd Barrett. He was unrecognizable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Uhhh . . .what?

Barrett's Floyd did some pop singles, but they sounded nothing like the Beatles. The acid-rock album cuts from the Syd Period bore me and have not held up well. You really had to be there and on acid to appreciate it. Nobody missed Syd Barret except his bandmates.

Gilmore's Floyd is The Floyd of record. Waters is a fine lyricist but he could never front Floyd.[/QUOTE]

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I said it, and I stand by it. Alot of the songs that Floyd came out with under Syd, especially Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Candy and a currant bun, the scarecrow, point me at the sky, take up thy stethoscope and walk, the gnome.....

all that sound like the early beatles to me.

9. razer

razer unregistered offender

Loco - Wish You Were Here
    Swerved - Fascination Street

I am with y'all on those. Also, what about Zeppelin's "Kashmir"? I always dug that song. They mentioned it in a movie (Fast Times at Ridgemont High I think)..."the greatest makeout song ever" or something like that lol.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I ain't seeing it, amigo. I don't think you've listened to the Beatles much.