Greatest LSU Football Coach Of All Time

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by G_MAN113, Mar 31, 2005.

?

Greatest LSU Football Coach Of All Time

1. Charles McClendon ("Chollie Mac")

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Paul Dietzel

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Nick Saban

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. Bill Arnsparger

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Other (Give Us A Name)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

And I! Partly because I'm really too young to remember anyone before Dinardo (atleast critically.) :dis:
    But Nick is my choice, because in this day in age, these :crystal: are hard to come by. :geauxtige

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Duhnardeaux

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Saban because of his ability to win, not only big games, but championships.
    MobileBengal broke it down best. After looking at the facts there isn't much argument that Saban is the best, unless your pissed he left us & if so it's time to get over it.

After saying that, I really think Miles has the potential to be the most winningest coach ever at LSU. He doesn't have to turn the team around, inherits tons of talent & a team that knows how to win championships. That puts him at a distinct advantage because he can start winning right away. Another fact is that I think Miles would like to stay at LSU for 10 + years.
    With practically no time, Miles still managed to pull together a pretty nice recruiting class (including number 1 recruit in country) and establish a dam impressive staff.
    The future looks bright...

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Cholly Mac had more wins, more bowl appearance, and coached more players for more years than any of those guys. Arnsparger, Dietzel, and Saban were great coaches but they should have stayed here 10-15 years if they wanted to be the greatest.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Yep, he had the best longevity, but he wasn't near the best coach. If Cholly Mac was coaching in the past 20 years he would have been fired for not winning SEC titles and would not have had the longest tenure IMO. It was a different world when he took over the reins of LSU football. I'll alwys love him for his dedication to LSU as he could have left for aTm when they offered him a lot more money. But Saban and Deitzel and IMO were better coaches and Arnsparger was about even with Cholly Mac.

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

That's kind of the way I based my vote, Red. Cholly Mac was an institution here in Baton Rouge.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If the question had been "who is the best coach" I would have picked Saban, too. But the question was "Who was the Greatest LSU football coach of all time".

McClendon.

8. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

I based my vote on the same reasons as Red and G-Man. Gotta give it to CHOLLIE!

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I still say Nick was the greatest coach. By far.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

And that's cool. That's why I posted this poll, to get varied and divergent opinions.