Greatest Rock and/or Blues Guitarists

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, May 11, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My list is pretty retro because I haven't kept up with a lot of newer music

1. Stevie Ray Vaughn - Eric Clapton once said that every guitarist makes some mistakes but is able to cover them up so that nobody but another guitarist would notice. Eric said that SRV doesn't make mistakes

The rest in no particular order

Eric Clapton - His enormous body of work speaks for itself

Jerry Garcia - Jerry won't make everybody's list but he is underrated. Jerry was incredibly versatile and was great on everything he did

Jimmy Page
    Freddie King - was the role model and inspiration for SRV
    Duane Allman - Was the embodiment of Southern Rock
    Jimi Hendrix
    Eddie Van Halen
    Albert King
    Billy Gibbons - Maybe not thought of as one of the greatest ever but his hard driving rock riffs epitomize the ZZ Top sound.

The Bengal B Founding Fathers of Rock n Roll goes to: Drum roll please:

ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatattatattatatat:

Chuck Berry with special thanks to Marty McFly without whom Johnny B Good might have still happened but still might not have happened.

Up and coming future Hall of Famer - Tallan Noble Latz Tallan is still only 13 and he first came to national attention at the age of 8 on one of those America's got Talent shows. Plays blues like SRV, Hendrix, Buddy Guy - You name it. He is already master of the blues guitar and just wait until he is 35 or 40 and has the gravelly blues voice from to many cigarettes and too much whiskey and the blues soul of somebody who has been cheated on by too many women.

Honorable Mention: Buddy Guy, BB King, Johnny Lang, Joe Satriani, Johnny Winter, Albert Collins, Ry Cooder, and anybody else who's music I love but have forgotten about

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

1) Jimi Hendrix
    2) Jimi Hendrix
    3) Jimi Hendrix
    4) Jimi Hendrix
    5) Your pick.

Ask any of the guys on the previous list and they'll agree with me...

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This!

b_leblanc likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1. Clapton. No one can touch him in blues and rock.
    2. Jimmy Page. Remarkable technique and taste.
    3. Albert King. The velvet bulldozer.
    4. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Everybody since SRV has been influenced.
    5. Hendrix. Short career, we never got to hear his style evolve.
    6. B.B. King. Long career, we got to hear everything he's got, which is a lot.
    7. Keith Richards. The best riffs in rock. Hugely influential.
    8. Jeff Beck. Lyrical and musical, but right in your face.
    9. Duane Allman. Precision with amazing style.
    10. Pete Townshend. Inventor of the power chord, he showed that a band could have just one guitarist.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've heard the name Jeff Beck numerous times over the years but never made the effort to listen to his music (although I'm sure I've heard it often and not realized it was him). He's playing with ZZ Top this summer near my house and it's one of the shows that I'm going to make an effort to see.

I'm far from being an expert on this topic but guessing that you could make a list for those that are technically proficient and can play any scale at any speed or another list that simply "sounds good".

Jimi Hendrix fits the "sounds good" label for me. He had that really good balance of being able to play a million miles per hour yet most of it was also laid back and relaxed.

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'll also add that my favorite "sounds good" music of all-time may be The Allman Brothers. However, I never know if the songs I'm hearing are with or without Duane Allman. I heard a live version of Blue Sky on Sirius recently and it released more endorphins during the song than I may have ever experienced before (for one song).

It's pretty amazing that Duane Allman is always at the top of these lists, yet he died at 24 and his band continued to make a lot of great music after him.

7. red55

If you heard the Yardbirds, you've heard Jeff Beck. Having said that, it should be noted that the Yardbirds had Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Page at various times when they were hot. Those guys never had anything but a top-10 guitarist.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Very solid list. For me a few names missing. Mostly, Brian May. After that Ritchie Blackmore and Malmstein.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Your list is a lot like mine. I would have put Keith Richards and Pete Townshend on my honorable mention only I didn't think about them at the time. Also I have to add Carlos Santana to the HM

10. red55

I knew I was forgetting someone . . .