Greatest Rock and/or Blues Guitarists

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, May 11, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And the last time I saw him...well he may have already went

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If Willie has his way they will Roll him up and smoke him when he dies

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Would anyone be willing to second the addition of Warren Haynes to the list? I am on the fence with this selection as Warren covers a lot of other peoples tunes. Thing though is he is a session/ jam band type of guitarist who understands the importance of paying homage to the truly greats. Government Mule is a phenomenal group with proven pedigrees enlisted from other great bands but nothing without Warren at the helm. Warren has a treasure trove of original material that is stand alone great...but they are still a jam band where originality is merely a portion of the overall package.

4. shane0911

I'd consider Derrick Trucks and Haynes as well. Love the Mule!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Everybody is focusing on great guitarists in bands. But some of the greatest guitarists in Rock and Roll were session musicians. People like Tommy Tedesco, Glen Campbell and Steve Cropper played on hundreds of hit records. Tedesco's discography is jaw-dropping. Glen Campbell went on to a performing career as did Steve Cropper but they all made the Rock and Roll Hall of fame as session musicians too, and are greatly respected by all guitarists.

6. shane0911

Oh what next @red55 you gonna toss out Al Di Meola? Get out of here with the Rhinestone Cowboy.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Again you demonstrate narrow-mindedness with regards to music, junior. I'm not talking about the Vegas country music singer. I'm talking about his days from 1958 to 1966 as a first-call session guitarist in LA. All of the Beach Boys sessions, The Byrds, Elvis, Sinatra, Phil Spector productions, Rick Nelson, Jan and Dean, If you don't know it, Glen Campbell is a first-rate picker. Wise up.

Rock, jazz, country, and pop with Steve Lukather . . .

Listen to the finish on this . . .

Even classical . . .

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Three pages and nobody said Omar Rodriguez Lopez? Probably the best active sub 60 year old rock guitarist in the world. A solid top 25 guy all time.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

@red55
    Oh Amigo, the thread was about blues and rock guitarist, otherwise I'd have put Chet Atkins and Ricky Skaggs into the fray a long time ago. I love Lukather by the way, sort of slips off the radar. I think he was with Toto later on in the days after Bobby split, not sure if he was part of The Tractors or not, not sure why I'm getting that vibe.