Greatest Rock and/or Blues Guitarists

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, May 11, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm trying to tell you that he was a heavily-recorded rock session guitarist back in the 60's. Just not under his own name.

Lukather is another first-call session guitarist whose work we hear more on other people records than his own.

The best drummers, guitarists, and bassists in rock and roll were New York and L.A. sessions musicians that most people never heard of. But they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because the band musicians damn sure knew who they were.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I sometimes get Glenn Campbell and Kenny Rogers mixed up. Kenny was a rocker before he was country with a band called Kenny Rogers and The First Edition. He had a One Hit Wonder with I Just Dropped in to See What My Condition Was In

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Sort of like "The Doors", they never had a "bassist" credited on any record yet there is damn sure a bass in their music. Someone was playing the damn thing.

4. red55

L.A. session bassists. Larry Knechtel was one of them. He and Carol Kaye played bass on most of the hit songs of the 60's and 70's. On tour, Ray Manzarek played a keyboard bass but they used a session bassist for recordings.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Doors were unusual among rock groups because they did not use a bass guitar when playing live. Rick Manzarek played the bass lines with his left hand on the newly invented Fender Rhodes bass keyboard, an offshoot of the Fender Rhodes electric piano, playing other keyboards with his right hand. On their studio albums (with the notable exception of their eponymous first record), The Doors did, however, use bass players, such as Jerry Scheff, Doug Lubahn (who also played with Clear Light), Harvey Brooks, Kerry Magness, Lonnie Mack, Larry Knechtel, Leroy Vinnegar, and Ray Neapolitan.

6. red55

The First Edition had several other hits.

They were a rock act but they recorded with Nashville session musicians . . . and it works.