Greedy Williams Declares for NFL Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, Dec 2, 2018.

1. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Travis Daniels All-Anerican..Oops. He read his quote on the back of a Cheerios box.

There is nothing to "Get". Bunch of older hypocrites want 1st rounders to stay for a meaningless Bowl game & risk injury for them. Last year's "Bitch Fest " was Leonard Fournette.

Simon says you not an LSU fan if you don't like bumper sticker sentiments? Please..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Redskins claim Reuben Foster off waivers... so character ain't so high on the list for all organizations.

Insurance is really for never playing again. Lloyd's has a policy that is for draft position lost that I believe never has been cashed, so that is a waste. I would figure that someone in the admin set up Greedy with both policies.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Whatcha gonna sue for Homie? Did you sue Saban for breach of contract?How bought Orgeron who is known not to have gone to class & wasted Cholly Mac's time & LSU's money?

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No one ever said Danels was an All American, he was just a player (an NFL player eventually), who put the team's needs ahead of his own.

Actually Leonard was 2 years ago, and it was more likely a Wheaties box, but anyway.....hey, its not that I can't appreciate the line of reasoning, and recent history has shown that the risk is real. I wasn't too pissed about Leonard because he was nursing an injury to begin with, had aggravated it in the season finale. Greedy's just sitting. He'll be forgiven, eventually. The only former LSU guy I can't abide is the one now playing roundball in Philadelphia; in fact, strike the part where I called him an LSU guy. He never was one. And anyone playing for the Falcons, but they're forgiven when they leave that franchise.

I went tangent. Greedy's got his own interests to look out for, and I think we can all be sympathetic toward that. Doesn't mean we won't grumble about how his self interests affect LSU, because ultimately, we watch LSU football, not a collection of individuals wearing LSU uniforms.

5. mctiger

Winston1 likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Most scholarships are renewable by year, not a 3-4 year bucket. Likewise, athletes have plenty of requirements in order to keep that scholarship so it's never a marriage, only a short-term engagement. So you have to ask, if he had been injured, unable to play or redshirt, would you be okay with him having a full ride in place of another potential player who could contribute on the field?

That is just not true. Almost every article at the time, lumped them both together. McCaffrey was ripped by furd alums and students and has been blamed for setting a trend that is likely irreversible.

That said, furd was headed to a loser bowl in El Paso. Had it been a NY's Day bowl or even the Rose, he'd have played. And if you want to discuss McCaffrey, then let's admit the West Coast time zone is likely a good reason he didn't have a legit shot at the Heisman. The Sun Bowl is a joke really. He made the right decision, just like everyone else is doing. Until or unless college football wants to start sharing some of their bowl profits with players, then expect more of it.

Brian and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Greedy may have unknowingly “spoken” to an agent without realizing it would force the decision to forego playing, maybe???

Or maybe a family member did? Would that also count?

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I didn’t see any of that but honestly I didn’t look, and I’m in the south too, the happenings at Stanford aren’t really anything to us. He did get flack though?

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It wasn't just Stanford. Just about every article at the time, lumped Fournette and McCaffrey together.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...istian-mccaffrey-wont-play-in-sun-bowl-vs-unc
    https://www.si.com/college-football...sun-bowl-stanford-leonard-fournette-nfl-draft
    https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/christian-mccaffrey-play-sun-bowl/story?id=44281070 (Sun Bowl Director gently criticized McCaffrey, a couple NFL players criticized both)

And a solid point from this one....“If some coaches can skip bowls to get ready for their next job, how can anyone fault Fournette or McCaffrey?”
    https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/christian-mccaffrey-play-sun-bowl/story?id=44281070

This is one of the more critical pieces but each player was taken to task equally...
    "Make no mistake, just like the coaches whose premature exits preceded them, the players acted selfishly. Selfish: Adj. Concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself … without regard for others. ....McCaffrey and Fournette quit on their schools and teammates. Their decisions betray any ideal of commitment. Dress it up and defend the reasons, but they quit. Period. Their actions, justifiable or not, contradict everything kids ever learn about putting the team first and finishing what they started. "
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...stian-mccaffrey-spt-1221-20161220-column.html

GiantDuckFan and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. mctiger

That's how I remember it too....McC and LF7 lumped together in those stories. Is this the new norm? 20 or so years ago, this period from December to February or so became the window for players to announce their jump to the NFL. Do we now has a sub-window in the window where it will become normal for those guys to announce whether they'll play in the bowl? In NASCAR, this period between the end of the race season and Daytona next year is known as the Silly Season, when teams are shuffling their drivers and sponsors. Maybe we need a name for this period of college football as well.

Brian likes this.