Greg Schiano watch thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by beatbama, Sep 30, 2016.

1. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

if we strike out on the A-list guys, Schiano is a pretty solid fallback option. And Schiano is arguably an A-list guy right now, or will be by the end of this season, as he becomes a hotter and hotter name depending on how well he does this season as DC and Associate Head Coach for Urban Meyer and Ohio State (Meyer hired him to his staff in December 2015)

Also, i would think Schiano is a "Big Name"/household name hire that would appeal to recruits and fans. I would think he is a bigger name than Jim McElwain, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, Gus Malzahn, Kevin Sumlin, Hugh Freeze, Bret Bielema, and Dan Mullen.

and Schiano is only 50 years old....13 years younger than Miles. Here are two big reasons Schiano would appeal to LSU fans:

1. He's got a strong reputation as a program builder, just like Saban
    2. He's got a strong reputation as a disciplinarian with a Type A Personality, just like Saban

also, like Saban, he's got an NFL background. Schiano was DB coach for the Chicago Bears and later head coach for Tampa Bay (and like Saban in Miami, Schiano's disciplinarian-style was criticized as something that doesn't work with NFL players like it does with college student-athletes)

Here's what SI/MMQB writes about him:
    "aside from Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech and Bill Snyder at Kansas State, few coaches have pulled off more impressive reputational overhauls than Schiano did for Rutgers in the 2000s.
    He built Rutgers—through improvements on the field and in facilities overhauls—from a laughingstock into a program established enough to earn a coveted spot in the Big Ten.
    [He is a] hard-nosed disciplinarian who resuscitated Rutgers from a century of wretched football, enjoying so much success that he turned down head coaching jobs at Miami and Michigan. (He also declined the chance to talk to Tennessee when Derek Dooley took the Vols job in 2010.) ... [He] earned raves for instilling discipline during his debut 7-9 season [as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers]"
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/04/nfl-greg-schiano-year-off

[​IMG]

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Too early to be thinking about reality. Get back in 3 months with this buzzkill.

islstl, Bengal B, GregLSU and 2 others like this.
  3. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

College football expert Pete Fiutak already has Schiano in his top 5 replacement options for both USC and LSU:

USC
    4. Greg Schiano
    By any chance have you noticed what the Ohio State defense is doing with most of its key parts from last year working in the NFL?
    Schiano was brought in as the defensive coordinator, and now the Buckeyes are doing wonders with a swarming, attacking, turnover-forcing monster of a D that’s running around with its hair on fire.
    The guy won eight games or more in five of his final six years at Rutgers and won his last five bowl appearances. Throw in the pro experience, and what he’s doing in Columbus, and now he looks more than ready to step up and take on a gig as big as USC.
    http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/usc-clay-helton-head-coach-replacements

LSU
    4. Greg Schiano
    There’s a big, giant college football head coaching job out there somewhere with his name on it.
    There’s also a chance he’d be in the mix for the Penn State job if it came open, but there’s an equal chance the school might want to sever all ties from the past. Either way, the current Ohio State defensive coordinator is renting space at his current gig. There’s a reason the Buckeye defense is crushing and killing everything in its path – it has as much athleticism and talent as anyone, and Schiano is that good.
    http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/5-top-options-replacements-lsu-head-coach-les-miles

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Lsu isn't hiring a defensive coach. Teams always hire the opposite of the previous coach. Will be an offensive minded guy unless it's coach o.

5. Cajinkid

Cajinkid Veteran Member

He is a average coach . Only had one good season as a HC in a terrible conference . Other than that 11-2 season he averaged 8-9 wins a year .

6. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I like the discipline part but not sure he is ready for SEC. 8-9 wins where he was translates to 4-5 here.

7. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

i agree our coaching search will be heavily slanted in favor of offensive coaches, but we will certainly be open to good head coaches with a defensive background like Saban (highly unlikely), Pete Carroll (highly unlikely), Gary Patterson (highly unlikely he leaves TCU), Kyle Whittingham (highly unlikely he leaves Utah), Greg Schiano, etc

As for Schiano, his offensive track record at Rutgers definitely needs to be scrutinized. So far, i know nothing about it. Only Rutgers QB I can remember is Tom Savage

8. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

it may be a case of being overhyped, but Greg Schiano has long been nationally acclaimed as a very good if not great college coach, how do you think he got hired as an NFL head coach? And why do you think Michigan and Miami wanted him? Winning at Rutgers is like winning at Vanderbilt.

It's like Spurrier at Duke when Florida hired him:
    1987 Duke 5–6
    1988 Duke 7–3
    1989 Duke 8–4
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Spurrier

Or Jimmy Johnson at Oklahoma State when Miami hired him:
    1979 Oklahoma State 7–4
    1980 Oklahoma State 3–7–1
    1981 Oklahoma State 7–5
    1982 Oklahoma State 4–5–2
    1983 Oklahoma State 8–4
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Johnson_(American_football_coach)

However, i do agree Schiano's record at Rutgers needs to be scrutinized. For example, I'd like to know if he won all the games he was favored to win and how many times he won when he wasn't favored to win and so on

9. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Plus you have to consider the conference these coaches come from. Putting up points on a Big East team is not the same as SEC. They play grown man Defense down here. It's like our DE said when we beat tOSU for the NC. He knew 3-4 SEC teams that would have beat that ass. Urban has raised the bar there now because he has built an SEC team.

Schiano wasn't get those results from top tier competition.

TUSKtimes likes this.
  10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'm not a Schiano fan, but he was coaching at Rutgers. You get any where near double digit wins with the talent at Rutgers and you're doing something.

$TigerFan$ likes this.