Grimes has to be fired

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 4, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Sarah Palin likes pancakes.

In fact she can see the Aunt Jamima plant on the Russian shore from her back porch.

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

For just getting settled into his job this year, Grimes looks to have done a good job. La'el getting awards, looking to be a first round pick by most. La'el has looked good and improving as the season went on. Gotten better with his footwork, a better job at playing the position. Best of luck to him.

I know Grimes is still recruiting, but keeping the 6 OL that we have with verbals, looks like a very good class, something that was needed this year. A lot depends on who comes out this year. Hawk would be one to stay, he too would have a great shot at being a first round pick next year. Alexander is another, another year could help him also. Pocic spot for next year depends on Hawk. Others in the mix Clapp and Dodd will battle for the Center position. Austin is another wild card, he could transfer out to another school, you never know. KJ Malone and Josh Boutte are two that the staff really liked. We may get a better feel after Spring, or like I say, after the NFL Draft.

fanatic and HalloweenRun like this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Vadal Alexander looks to have a returning grade from the NFL, another year would do him well. Still a few things have to fall into place. Will he get kicked back outside or stay at the OG position? Having played both still is a plus. Pocic is the wild card here, if someone like Dodd or Clapp can man the center position, it frees him up to be used at the other position as needed. A guy that could play a number of positions on the OL is always needed in the NFL.

The last guy I can remember playing all 5 positions on the OL at LSU is Rudy Niswanger, he was undrafted out of LSU, signed as a UDFA with the Chiefs, ended up starting for a number of years. I remember him playing both the center and guard positions in the Pros.

To add, this looks to be a very deep draft at the OL positions, from what I can see, a couple teams playing yesterday could use some help, that would be the Saints and Bucs, among others. OT has a number of good players as for Srs, and if a few more underclass men come out, it only adds to this class.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    fanatic and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Collins got a return grade too. Hunter, Kwon, and the other lineman, Hawkins I believe are being quiet.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Collins got a return grade, but he may still come out. There is some talk.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

A little more talk on some of the players, OL guys....
    • LSU redshirt review: Offense
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • By David Ching | December 22, 2014 1:00:33 PM PST
    BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU got considerable production out of its vaunted freshman class this season, but some members of the class are still waiting to contribute.

Today and tomorrow, we'll look at the freshmen who are in line to redshirt, as well as a couple who appeared in only a game or two. Today we begin with the players on offense.

OL GARRETT BRUMFIELD

Height/Weight: 6-4/309 pounds

ESPN prospect rating: Four stars, No. 54 overall prospect on ESPN 300, No. 1 offensive guard

2014 in review: The writing was on the wall when Brumfield and William Clapp signed in February in that LSU returned a wealth of experience along the line. Unless something catastrophic happened, they would most likely sit out the season and redshirt -- and that's what happened. Brumfield could be in line to play guard or center next season, particularly if one of the Tigers' underclassmen opt to enter the NFL draft.

Teammate's comments: "Brumfield is a very athletic guy. He kind of reminds me of Trai [Turner, a former LSU lineman and rookie with the Carolina Panthers] in a way. Clapp reminds me of maybe a little smaller P.J., if you remember [former LSU center] P.J. Lonergan. So those are two guys that played really good football at LSU, and they've gotten so much better from when they came in to now. I really like those guys. They're good guys and things like that, so they have a bright future." -- junior left guard Vadal Alexander

OL WILLIAM CLAPP

Height/Weight: 6-5/295 pounds

ESPN prospect rating: Four stars, No. 22 offensive guard

2014 in review: The son of former LSU captain Tommy Clapp worked behind veterans at guard and center during the season. Center might be where he eventually settles, however, with seniorElliott Porter completing his career and sophomore Ethan Pocic able to play multiple positions along the line.

Teammate's comments: "[Brumfield and Clapp have] both been working great at guard and center. They switch back and forth with it. They practice at center one day and they go back to guard the next day. They're going at it. ...I believe there's a little competition between them two -- like they're young, but they're always trying to see who can get it in." -- sophomore right tackle Jerald Hawkins

WR TONY UPCHURCH

Height/Weight: 6-1/230 pounds

ESPN prospect rating: Four stars, No. 283 overall prospect on ESPN 300, No. 42 wide receiver

2014 in review: Of the four wide receivers LSU signed in February, Upchurch probably needed the most work. Trey Quinn and Malachi Duprecontributed immediately and D.J. Chark also appeared in a handful of games. Upchurch needed time to slim down a bit and learn LSU's offense. He'll have to compete for playing time with a number of young wideouts in 2015.

Teammate's comments: "He's grown a lot. From the first time I met him in the summer to yesterday, he's grown a lot. He's matured a lot. He was real heavy when he first got here and he's losing weight. He's growing as a person on and off the field. He's not doing some of the things he was doing when he first got here. He's more focused on football." – sophomore wide receiver Travin Dural

TE JACORY WASHINGTON

Height/Weight: 6-5/221 pounds

ESPN prospect rating: Four stars, No. 169 overall prospect on ESPN 300, No. 5 tight end (H)

2014 in review: As with the other offensive redshirts, Washington faced a logjam at his position when he arrived at LSU in the summer. The Tigers returned four tight ends who saw the field in 2013, plus they added junior college transfer Colin Jeter. Washington and the other young tight ends should have a much greater opportunity to play next season with seniorsLogan Stokes and Travis Dickson completing their careers.

Teammate's comments: "I think Jacory's going to be a monster one day. He's big, tall, strong. Just coming here, they wanted him to put some size on and get used to the system and we had a lot of older guys in front of him, so they redshirted him. But it's definitely benefited him a lot. He looks a lot more comfortable out there at practice, especially blocking. I don't think he had ever blocked before he got here and he's actually going to be a very good blocker. Obviously y'all know about his receiving skills, so he's going to be very good." -- Stokes

Bengal B likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

I was really hoping to see Jacory play. He seems like a freakishly gifted athlete who could finally be a weapon at that position in the passing game.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Like I said.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Still waiting on it.

10. LaSalleAve

I hope we get some good news regarding Hawk, Hunter, and Alexander.

LSUDad likes this.