Ground mullet, red snapper and a blown hub

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jul 29, 2016.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Few more buddies wanted in on the state water snapper. Jumped on with them and started off catching bait which quickly turned into putting one big ground mullet, not regular mullet for this still confused, after another in ice. Got more of those than wanted to clean and headed for snapper. More of the same there quick 4 man limit 6 to 12lbs and headed in. Got to the ramp and saw something wasn't right on buddies trailer. No clue how he made to the ramp bearings were totally shot I grab tire jerked it and it popped off the trailer. So sent the other guys off with the fish rods etc to all that cleaned while I went and got a new hub kit and fixed that. No pics this time bc of the trailer issues.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

My biggest fear. So bad that I'm guilty of over-greasing and break seal. I carry a spare hub with bearings already packed in case. When I go fish river it's 50 miles to the camp at where I usually stay and 10 miles to the launch so easily 100 mile round trip on trailer.

All this stems from a bad experience back in HS.

sunnyjim likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Don't ya'll use buddy bearings. Give them a shot of grease before each trip and you will never have a problem. I got them aftrr a wheel came off my trailer one night on the way home from Grand Isle.

4. jvalhenson

I keep extras on all 3 of my trailers but this wasn't mine. He has bearing buddies and greases them but sometimes stuff just breaks. These were less than a year old greased regularly still blew out.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I've been lucky...never had a bearing fail on a trailer.

6. jvalhenson

Personally I haven't either on any of mine. Did have a spindle crack one time but saw it in the yard and randomly had an extra one so just cut it off and welded new one on.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Knock on wood. :confused:

8. LSUTiga

I'm no expert but I can tell you that you can still have problems with bearing buddies.There is a lot of debate on what they do...or don't do. One thing I think they do DO is keep water out. I know if your rear seal goes, it's just a matter of time before the bearing does.

Do they get grease to the rear bearing? I'm not sure.

I had a trailer with a zerk on the spindle that pumped grease from the rear to the front. Bearing buddies would have to send the grease through the front bearing, through the hub and then into the rear bearing.

Here's a thread with a lot of discussion. One guy swears you need air in the hub, saying BB don't fill the hub.

I pulled one of mine today and now I'm not sure if I should've filled the hub between the bearings with the grease gun before putting it back together and depending on the BB to do it.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...ers-and-towing/375058-do-bearing-buddies-work

9. jvalhenson

I replaced mine years ago with spindles that grease from the back. Not saying bearing buddies don't work but I believe the grease pushing in from the back bearing is better.

LSUTiga likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

Without a doubt. You can pump new grease into that booger without having to pull/repack.