Gruden giving M.C., Saban, and Tigers big props

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU4Life, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

Some Bucs fans weren't happy because they needed a RB. I think they'll realize sooner or later that they got more bang for their buck (pardon the pun). The first RB, Jackson, didn't go until #26. If the Bucs hadn't picked up Mike, the 49ers would've taken him at #16.

2. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I agree with the fans disappointment, because they desparately need a RB and LB and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to draft clayton. But I think they got great value with Clayton. It sux b/c they will be ten times more critical of him. I wonder if he will get much PT b/c they already have a lot of WR's.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Pittman was a headcase and a also-ran as a running back. Keyshawn Johnson was on the downside of a good career when he came over. Brad Johnson's not going to make anyone's Hall of Fame list, and has never lit the world on fire.

The key with Gruden-as it was with a bunch of over the hillers in Oaktown-is to get guys to play to the ROLE he proscribes to them in the offense he runs. His system produces results. Look at what he did with Oakland...and look at what his team did the year after, and look at what he did in Tampa the first season?

The second season had Sapp acting up, and also had Johnson being a toxic entity in the lockerroom from all reports. Johnson was unhappy with the "role" he had swallowed the previous year. He traded that lack of production for a ring, but when they struggled, he was unwilling to continue on in that role.

In one sentence, it's simple:Keyshawn Johnson is unable to deal with adversity.

You notice what happened in Tampa, right? The two malcontents were shipped the hell out, one way or the other...

Gruden had a bunch of no names or usedtabees in Oakland (Rich Gannon? What the hell did he ever do in the NFL pre-Oakland and pre-Gruden? Jerry Rice and Tim Brown? Those guys should be on a seniors circuit by now...Or hurdling Hertz baggage check ins as the next pitchman in the mold of 'da Juice), and he honestly had the same in Tampa...he just made role players swallow their individual whining to better the team. It worked for a while, but the NFL attitude that's so prevalent amongst the upper echelon "name" players got the best of a good team.

Trust me, as long as they can get consistent contribution, they don't need top flight guys. They just need guys who can participate in a system like Gruden's and give up their yearning for statistics that bring the big contracts.

They won with also rans, and that's what Gruden's hung his hat on...Why do they suddenly need high priced talent to excel?

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes, the Bucs do need a quality running back but they need a good possession receiver to replace Keyshawn just as bad. This draft was deep in receivers but short on impact running backs. By the time the Bucs pick rolled around Clayton was a much better pick than any RB they could have chosen.

5. LSUHotdog

That's not true BB, Steven Jackson was available, and easily is the best RB in the draft. It would not of been a reach if he was selected #10. But I agree they need a possession receiver to replace Keyshawn. Galloway is the vertical guy, but he needs to beat out McCardell and Jurevicious to receiver any PT.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Jackson was the first RB drafted but not until the 24th pick. Maybe this is the reason:

Negatives: Has great initial speed, but can be brought down when defenses initiate contact in the backfield (needs room to gain acceleration) … Good short area blocker, but does not always see the blitz develop and is not quick to locate linebackers when asked to block at the second level (needs better technique work to sustain) … Patient and uses his blockers well, but despite his leg strength, he does go down a bit too much when trying to squeeze through the pile (looks frustrated working in close quarters, preferring to gain room to be more effective

It sounds like he is more of a finesse runner and at his size he needs to be a piledriver

7. FSUfan4ever

FSUfan4ever Freshman

Gruden drafting Michael and the Tampabay fans reply to it.

A lot of the Tampabay fans are happy that we choose him since a LSU fan told us more about Michael. We are ready to get this season on so we can test him out.:lsup:

8. JETigER

JETigER Founding Member

mike williams is from tampa bay, so the people who became usc fans because of this fact may not like the fact that michael clayton was picked

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Gruden had a bunch of no names or usedtabees in Oakland (Rich Gannon? What the hell did he ever do in the NFL pre-Oakland and pre-Gruden?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rich Gannon won either 11 or 13 games for the Chiefs when Elvis got hurt.
    It might've been 11 or 13 games in a row, I think that is correct but not sure.
    Marty benched Gannon and started Elvis against the Broncos in the AFC playoffs and that is one reason why the Chiefs lost to the Broncos.
    (I'm glad of that)

Its not Gannon's fault that he was benched by his stupid coach.
    We all know what happened next, Marty left and Elvis signed a big free agent contract
    with the Ravens and just made it through 1 season and then NO longer in the NFL.

There are practice players and there are gamers, Elvis was no gamer!
    I've thought Marty was a real idiot ever since.

When your team is on a roll you don't replace vital parts unless of injuries!

10. LSUHotdog

Sourdoughman, please tell me that you don't really think Michael Moore is a rational, unbiased democrat?