Guess who ate at the Abita Springs cafe today?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

RIP Bernie!

I know how things are with customers! I was a bartender/manager of a place here in Orlando and I had this elderly customer that would come in every Mon. and Tues. (my office days) and play pool. Every Wednesday afternoon I would pick him up and bring him to PIccadilly, I did this until I got out of the bar business, but kept in touch with him. He is now 85 and driving to see me on Wednesdays at the bar I am working at to give me his dollar tip cuz I am in bad times!

This 4th, I am picking him up and bringing him to our party, and my friend is bringing him home. He is soo excited! SOme people are just that great that they are a part of your heart and will always be there!

1 person likes this.
  2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Thanks for the kindness and concern. I'm really happy for Bernie in a way. If you knew him, there'd be no doubt about him being in heaven. He was the kind of guy that made that real and apparent here on earth because he participated in heaven while here on earth with us. Bernie got a real big promotion.

Orlando, what a great story about your customer. That's what makes the service industry so great to be in. It's not so much for money and tips as it is about being part of other peoples lives. You're receiving more than the dollar tip from him you're getting the real great thank you.

It's really great to work in a neighborhood bar or restaurant where a sense of community develops. After Katrina, a lot of people from St Bernard parish were relocated here and it was very common to see my customers recognize each other and reconnect across the cafe. "I didn't know you were over here!". "Where do y'all live?". "Is everyone OK?".

It's an honor being part of the community like that. I have a lot of customers like Bernie. I can't imagine getting up and dreading to go to work.

3. stevescookin

Today was a busy day at the cafe for a Tuesday. Probably because the rains the last several days really cooled off the place.

Anyway, I get out the kitchen during a break in the action and there's a pretty big fellow in an Alabama baseball shirt and hat...a real nice fellow who smiled the whole time. I started talking to him about the Paul Finebam article in which he refers to Saban's new contract as having less teeth than the front row at Neyland stadium because it was extended with no buyout. He laughed and said "really?". I told him how the gumps were reviling Finebaum for hinting at criticism of Saban, and the barners were laughing and making comments like " It's just a matter of time before he walks out on the contract. Just one recruiting violation away...one more vacated win and he's gone"

I asked him if he graduated from there, and he said..."No, I coached football there under Curry, Stallings and Debose. When Dubose got fired we all got fired.".

He was an assistant coach and, for a time, director of football operations.
    Now he's an educational consultant and dating a local Abita lady. That's why he's in town a lot nowadays.

His name is Scott Skene. I'm not sure what position he coached at Bama.

4. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so sweet OT, I just betcha that the elderly man thinks of you as family, and that is really sweet that you thought about him spending the day with you at ya'lls party. How thoughtful. I bet he is looking forward to it.

5. stevescookin

I was honored to serve LSUtiger327 and his wife and mother in law today. They came by after visiting family in Mandeville. Justin and Joan also brought their beautiful daughter...Samantha Grace... She is a sweetie. A lot of children at 9 months are kind of restless when they have to sit in a high chair that long in a restaurant, but she was a real charmer. I think she is a good blend between both mom and dad as far as the way she looks. She is more beautiful and good natured than her picture as Justin's sig on this forum indicates.

I was able to get out of the kitchen for a while and sit with them so we got to know each other in a pretty short while. We talked tailgating and how he was able to meet a lot of other members of the forum on home game Saturdays. If I remember correctly we talked about Crip, Okie, Kylek and Big wee as well as Orlandotiger and LSUfaninmiss (in case any of your ears were ringing about that time...10:00 am :yelwink2:.)

They ate a couple of our signature omelettes like the Veggie, Crawfish Creamed Spinach and the Abita Cheesesteak. Samantha had a tiny pancake I made for her called the pea dabber.

They told me that they would post something later about their visit.

I really enjoyed meeting them and look forward to my first tailgate sometime this coming season. He mentioned how they are real close to team Katt's party. Yep you read right...I've never tailgated before :eek:.

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

we really had a great time, steve.

one of the great things about TF is actually meeting some of the guys here and putting faces with names.

the breakfast at the abita springs cafe was great. i enjoyed that philly omelet and my wife loved the crawfish spinach one. it's worth the trip just for the biscuits alone.

i told steve my krewe or team katt (b/c they're nice like that) would love to host him when he comes to tailgate this season and have a chance to feed him for a change.

he's a hard working guy who needs a good tailgate.

steve, we really enjoyed ourselves and it was great to meet you and your wife. i highly recommend the abita springs cafe for everyone for great food and conversation. :thumb:

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

sounds like he should tailgate with both krewes!:thumb:

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

it's very doable since we're not that far from each other.

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I'm going to sneak by there one day. I mentioned it to my wife on the way back from Gulf Shores but the kids were tired so we came on home.

10. cajun_tiger

cajun_tiger Founding Member