Guess who said it!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by MiketheTiger69, Jul 25, 2004.

1. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

A couple of quotes I came across that I found interesting. See if you can guess who said them.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists and the hopes of its chidren. This is not a way of life in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

"Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war, neither in Russia nor England, nor for that matter, Germany.

That is understod, but after all it is the leaders of the country who determine policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

I'm not trying to make any kind of particular statement. Just some food for thought.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

Hermann Goering.

i see you are not trying to make a statement. what do you do with this "food for thought". if you are making no statement i mean.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

CottonBowl '66?
    How I miss him/her/it. :bncry:

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

that sig is nice sabanfan. athiests shouldnt be considered citizens. in fact i am in favor of considering athiesm a thought crime with revoked citizenship as the punishment.

5. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

You're right, on the second one, Martin. Old Hermann did say that while awaiting trial in Nuremburg. But who said the first one?

Why does it necessarily mean I am trying to 'make a statement" just because I put something out there for people to think about?

I don't know about you, but I consider people who have no tolerance for the differences of others to be un-American and should be shipped off to N. Korea or China or someplace similar where everybody toes the party line and acts like mindless robots! Ya think?

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I see. So nobody can question or criticize YOU, right? Is that what I'm picking up here?

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i didnt say you were. i was asking for help with the "food for thought". since you are making no statement, i was wondering how this "food for thought" should be consumed, and what you think of it.

basically i am saying you have no point if you are not making some sort of statement. what is the point?

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I don't think atheists should marry either.

Which brings up another thought. Why would atheists marry? It's basically a religious ceremony signifying the God approved union of a couple. Reminds me of Stephen Wright's line about a gift he received of a packet of instant water. He didn't know what to mix it with.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

obviously, marriage is a meaningless ceremony.

only reason to marry is maybe to make your kids feel comfortable like the other kids, or for tax reasons or whatever. its basically pointless.