Guilbeau blasts Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Laminator, Jul 30, 2006.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Meyer?!?!?! :shock:

And WHAT, exactly, has Urban Meyer shown the SEC--except that a spread offense doesn't work in a conference with real speed???

You've got such a hatred for Les Miles, that it's laughable...

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

It's a bit unfair to compare Miles to those other SEC coaches at this point, cause they've had years to show their stuff. Miles just finished his FIRST year and as it stands, he topped everyones first year.

3. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

as i said earlier miles inherited the keys to a ferrari those coaches inherited keys to a volkswagon. i dont dislike the coach but time will validate my argument that he is like a fish outta water in the sec and quite possibly the second coming of curley.

4. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

You would love that because then you could say "I was right". A man doesn't beat a powerhouse in Oklahoma twice and damn near a 3rd time without knowing a little bit about football when he has a vastly inferior product. It's not like baseball where big teams think some games don't really count. In football, every coach knows EVERY game counts.

Is he as good as Saban, probably not but time will tell. Is he acceptable? As long as he keeps our program contending like he did this past year, I will be satisfied.

As far as calling him the second coming of Curley, you forget that Curley won because of a future nfl Hall of Fame QB in Farve while at Okie State Les didn't have any future hall of famers playing for him.

5. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

one thing is for sure in that the big sausage slinger will be here to say i told you so. how many championships does he have? whats the osu record during his tenure?

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/big12/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/record_book.pdf

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Uuummm, how many championships did Saban win at Michigan State. What was his record there? Wait...let me help you out on this one...

Saban's first 4 years at Michigan State....25-22 with no championships

Miles 4 years at Oklahoma State.......28-21 with no championships

What's your point?

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Before the start of last season everyone was getting ready to put less down if he didnt have a great season with the talent of the Tigers. Now that he has, we are turning it into a negative. But what other coach had as much pressure as Miles coming into a program. Spurrier and Coach O. had no pressure. Meyer had comparable pressure with Miles but we fought through a major disaster and Miles put up more W's. We can only really compare LM performance with the new coaches of last year, for now.:geauxtige

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

If you are like me, you have absent-mindedly followed different beat writers during their careers. I'm familiar with Glenn...but not as a fan of his work.

He used to write for the Mobile Press Register...and now he's in Shreveport. Next, we'll probably seeing him writing for a paper out of Oxford or some smaller MS town.

I'll give him this...he has a great ability to come to a paper with a small subscription base and make it even smaller. That speaks wonders of his talents, wouldn't you say?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Guilbeau is our Finebaum, Terry. He pisses folks off all of the time, but if he didn't exist, we'd have to invent him. It isn't good for all of the sportwriters to be blind homers.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Quite frankly, in the print media in Alabama, I've yet to find a "blind homer." In fact, I have learned so much about those guys it's hard to find any enjoyment reading their articles anymore.

As an example, just today, Ray Melick had an article out about Prothro's catch. He went on to describe how the defender was using "textbook coverage skills." Yet, in the game that defender was called for pass interference.

I wouldn't mind reading article posted about Alabama in the state papers...if they would ONLY get the details correct! :)

People wonder why the print media is taking such a dive in $$$...it is really quite simple, isn't it?