Guitar Players Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I never set out to be a songwriter. I just wanted to get better on the guitar but to play at the open mike things you pretty much have to play original must with a cover or two thrown in.

There are a couple of blues jams but I'm not good enough yet to play with guys who have been professional musicians for 20 or 30 years.

I come up with some really good song titles but it's hard to come up with lyrics as good as the title with sounding contrived. When I think of a song title I put it in a file and maybe I think of something to go with it later.

Last night I thought Guns, beer and titties would make a good song but I don't know where to go from there.

Same with Nobody loves me but my dog.

TigerTap likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yeah, no.

GiantDuckFan and shane0911 like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Strings- light or heavy? If you google it the majority of comments favor the heavy but I find it's much easier to play with light strings on both electric and acoustic.

I saw a video the other day where Billy Gibbons talked about sharing a dressing room with BB King back in Billy's earlier days. BB asked him if he could play his guitar for a few songs and offered to let him play Lucille. Billy was shocked to find the BB used very light strings and asked him didn't he need heavier strings to get those kinds of sounds.

BB looked at him and asked "Why are you working so hard?" After that Billy switched to 7's.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

[​IMG]

March 2019 coming nowhere close. I'll probably fly somewhere to see him. Maybe Chicago.

5. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Not bad! A real tube amp 5 watts for $99.

Freind of mine bought one of these & I got to play it yesterday. Not a world beater or anything, but probably the best small tube amp out there for the money right now. It only costs about $25 more than a Pignose. Cool practice amp. Only down side is no reverb, but that's pretty minor.

Almost forgot, they also have a 15 watt tube amp, with a12" Celestion speaker for $202, with reverb.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-61...311&sr=8-1&keywords=monoprice+guitar+tube+amp

Just thought I'd post, in case anyone is in the market.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Bengal B and GiantDuckFan like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would buy one today if I didn't already have the Marshall. It's not a true tube amp but it sounds just like one. Sometimes I practice with my 20 watt Fender Mustang. It's a modeling amp and there are all kinds of good presets I can download.

TigerTap likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Let me know. I have enough points to fly us both

8. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

I remember, that's a damn good Marshall. This is the same friend I was telling you has one like yours. He's got like 18-19 amps now. He loves to tinker with them. The little "Monoprice" or Stage Right amp is cool. I'm thinking about maybe getting one too. Can't believe it only cost $99, with an 8" Celestion in it. Haven't seen the larger model they offer.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Fender only cost $119. I have a 10 watt Fender Frontman that I haven't used in months but I might start using it with my acoustic-electric Takamine.

TigerTap likes this.
  10. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

That should sound really good. Do you have a Fishman type pickup or a built in Takamine pickup?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018