Guitar Players Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 21, 2017.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yes, you have to click on the "verified" ones or the ones with the most stars. Its actually quite easy to figure out which ones are good and which ones are crap.

2. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Every now and then, but usually I just figure it out myself. I’m not paying for something I can do on my own. I find the best thing is bring up a YouTube, then transcribe the key to where I want it.

YouTube works better for banjo playing as well, as I can see the positions. Bout the only time I come across ultimate is if I’m trying to figure out some off chord ... but even there, I agree with you, they are usually wrong.

Bengal B likes this.
  3. onceanlsufan

Whaaaaa? Dude if you can play lead guitar you can kill a bass. The scales are just the bottom 4 strings of a guitar. Now... slaps and thumps are a bit different .... but that is advanced stuff.

I really miss my ol G&L bass. I bought it and played but as a donation to a praise band for tax purposes. Bad move. I should have just bought it outright and kept it. I still wonder if it is hanging around that church. It was a wonderful instrument.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I see a YouTube video I can't always tell which string the guitar player is hitting. I already could play Pride and Joy but for lead I would have to improvise. Was playing part of it tonight using tabs and it fits with the song better than before, I'm not going to learn solos note for note. Takes too long and I'm not in a band but it's great for learning licks.

Only thing I wish is that it would show the rhythm too. Maybe it does but I don't read music.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

i could buy a bass but I wouldn't want to spend much and when I practice it's probably better for me to keep trying to improve on what I already do. What I need is other people about my level to play with instead of always playing to backing tracks alone. There are a couple of blues jams but the guys who play those places for the most part have been professional musicians for 30 or 40 years.

6. onceanlsufan

Good thing is you don’t have to spend much! You can pick up a Fender Squire bass for $150 .... even cheaper used. .... Or some of these off brands for under a hundred. I’ll have to say, playing bass is probably my fav. It’s just fun .... especially jazz. I got to slapping around on an upright a few times and that is like a whole different world.

I can’t get enough instruments. If I ever win the lotto ... I’m going to buy a fricken music store! LOL.

shane0911 and GiantDuckFan like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody tried playing Albert King? Everybody knows he tunes down but there are differences in the way he did that too.

The good folks who transcribe songs for the professional version of the Hal Leonard books have figured it out. Sort of. This is his tuning for Crosscut Saw from low to high:

B-E-B-E-G#-C#. Works great except for the 2 lowest strings which Albert never played. I tried tuning those to A#-F# and that sounds better when I play it and use those strings.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

my latest addition (got it a few months ago)

C64E02B0-280A-4CF1-8C44-0A1F7E9E11B7.jpeg

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

she sounds amazing too.
    a very warm and naturally creamy tone.