Guitar Players Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Or Joe Bonamassa.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

eddie van halen basically played the exact guitar i descibe for my mod, a strat shape with only a humbucker and one single volume knob. you guys dont think he made enough different tones?

Attached Files:

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Sure you can

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

well considering there are an almost countless amount of other tones out there that he didn’t use ...

so if your ultimate goal is to sound like Eddie Van Halen, and ONLY Eddie Van Halen, then go for it.

Bengal B and shane0911 like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not my goal but If it meant I could play as good as Eddie I would take it.

I don't use the tone control much but with pedals and the range of settings I can get on my Marshall amp I'm OK with it. I also have a Fender modeling amp that I can download presets to.

What kind of amps do you use?

7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i have a blackstar amp, a low powered head and a 12 inch cabinet. i also have a vox stompbox efects pedal and a digitech element effects pedal. each of them can make basically any sound you can imagine.

when was a i kid a i had an effects rack thing and it was cool but it cost a fortune. now you can get a signal processor thing that makes any sound you want in one pedal with hundreds of settings for less than $100.

so although the blackstar amp makes fresh distorted tones, i use the clean channel. and do everything with one digital effects pedal.

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

simpler is better. dont need 10 thousand tones. need a very clean tone, and about 5 or 6 different non-cleans, distorted, reverby, chorused, etc. thats it. dont need to multiply that times 9 pickeup settings and infinite tone knob turnings

9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

he says he cant do it. i guess its a skill he doesnt have. some skills are beyond some folks.

10. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Whaaaaahhh??

That’s a really subjective position. I personally prefer the crisp sound of the single coil, in particular for clean sounds. Seems to me the humbuck was created for distortion, and it is much better at that. I couldn’t even use my tube screamer or other distortion with my Tele ... don’t know why but it would cause major feedback right out of the gate. The Strat for some reason behaves nicely with overdrive.

shane0911 and Bengal B like this.