Guitar Players Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I haven't been seriously trying to learn for all that long but it seems a lot like golf. No matter how good I play one day I suck the next.

tirk likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

May as well give it a geaux
    It is VERY much like golf in that to be really good you have to do it right, the same way, over and over.

I have been at it for about 2 years. First one was rough. Fumbled around a lot. Knew lots of chords but getting from one to the next was like two monkeys fucking a football. I had just about given up but then, like a newborn trying to walk it just happened.

For old dogs like us trying to learn a new trick practice and patience are the two most important and of course the two most scarce.

I coined a phrase a while back talking to my instructor. "Don't question your ability, question your commitment "

HoopHound and Bengal B like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't have any patience but I have my srtat and another old Arbor Destroyer electric on one side of my desk and my acoustic on the other. From time to time during the day when I'm here I'll just pick one up and start playing something. I might put it down 5 minutes later but I might play for an hour if I get into it. Whatever it's good training for the fingers. I heard a saying the other day too. "Anything worth doing is worth doing it poorly until you do it well."

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

would love to, but the way i’m currently working, the time part is just not even close to being there.

i mostly been working in tejas this year and spend maybe an average of 7 hours a day total at my apt.

that’s 7 hours to find food, shower, sleep, and keep up with my laundry.

strumming the guitar would be awesome to do while at the apt by myself, but i still value sleeping and eating above it.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've been playing through the Fender Mustang but I hadn't fooled with the Fuse software much. I've been trying to get the amp settings to where it sounds right when I was playing Stormy Monday but nothing sounded right. I found an Allman Brothers preset on the user forum and it made a big difference immediately.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    shane0911 likes this.
  6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

so, picked up a pair of nice entry level budget guitars for my sons since they both want to learn to play (but they ain’t touching my expensive guitars)

pair of Epiphone SG special (vintage edition).

short kid got the Walnut finish:
    F1ABA73F-04E1-45E5-866E-B21193193523.jpeg

and lil Nootch went with Cherry finish
    F4C42545-FC99-47EF-BA5B-99E4015B0CCA.jpeg

both are really smooth playing, and sound pretty good through my Fender Mustang.

not bad for less than $170 a pop.

no they ain’t a full featured Gibson SG, but for a couple teens just starting, they’ll get the job done.

Herb and shane0911 like this.
  7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

shane0911 likes this.
  8. shane0911

I love her @stevescookin She wants to meet me she just hasn't realized it yet

stevescookin likes this.
  9. shane0911

Damn nice find bro

stevescookin likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like the walnut. Do they make one in a hollow body style?