Gumbo Discussion Last Night

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jun 24, 2008.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

My wife commented to me last night during dinner that she tried the Gumbo at Red Lobster, which I just shook my head at the notion.
    Then she goes on to tell me that their is a Gumbo mix that you can put in a crockpot and just add rice to it. "So its a rice dish" she says I looked at her and said no thank you.
    She got mad at me because I wouldnt be happy that she tried to make it. I said gumbo is a soup based dish and you eat it with rice. I told her if she wasnt making it like my grandmother than I wouldnt lie to her about how awful it would be.
    She says "You just got closer to not having a cook in the house at all" Even though I do most of the cooking.

My reply was " I dont have one in the house now"

That was the end of dinner.

Should I have lied to her about wanting to taste that out of a bag gumbo?

Ladies I need help.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm not a lady, but if you kicked her out of the kitchen, what good is she to you now?

I keed, I keed.

You were correct in dispelling any myth about gumbo being made from anything but a roux. I was once invited to have "Okra Gumbo" at a friend's house. What I was served was a Miso-like clear soup with okra in it. Since she's a very good friend I was honest. I told her, "Not only does this suck, it is not gumbo". She said it was because okra was in it. I said "then call it okra soup because without roux it cannot be gumbo".

3. LSUMASTERMIND

I have said the word Roux to her on many occasions, she just doesnt get it. It was easier for me to say soup this time.

4. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Alright Mastermind, as I have to agree with your point here, the direction you decided to go with it was where you screwed up. We all know (even most of you men) there is a good way to hand a woman cristism and there is the way where dinner ends and she doesn't speak to you for three weeks way. I would offer to make the gumbo with her one saturday or sunday. then do the shopping and but some wine and show her what a roux is and why gumbo isn't a "rice dish".

Then she may understand better and if not at least she will be tipsy and maybe forget she is angry with you!:D

1 person likes this.
  5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

You were correct for your honesty. Gumbo is to never be taken lightly. SF hit it with no exceptions, its all in the roux. There is no roux in a box and the roux they sell in the jar, close but you might as well use the box. Fact is you should call her right now and give her another ration such that the notion never comes up again. I am trying to save your marriage brother. You would do the same!

6. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Thats why my wife stays out the kitchen and I do all the cooking.

Her parents live next door and they love when i make any cajun dish. She knows she cant cook, but she is one hell of a baker.

I think she should know that it is not the same...If she gets mad, just duck and wait a minute to confront her. Whats funny is my fiance` f'ed up rice and I pulled out the rice cooker and showed it to her and said look....with this, it is nearly impossible to mess up rice. She didnt attempt to cook dinner for a couple months. But now, she sarcasticly jokes about f'in up the rice and we just laugh.

And BTW, I cringed at the words of Red Lobster. I remember when they tried to open that one in Lafayette and it lasted a whole 6 months (give or take).

7. LSUMASTERMIND

So I should just call and read her the act again and continue to be the azzhole that I am.

Right:huh:

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Yup, but just a brief reminder not a continous rant. Have her repeat the words so that you know she understands and move on. You wanna give me the number so I can do it? :hihi:

J/K

9. LSUMASTERMIND

yea while you are at it, could you include these buzz words so that she understands better.

Las Vegas
    Guys Weekend
    Drunk
    Strip Club
    Lap Dances
    7 Days
    Bail Bonds

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

there's the only part you went wrong. next meal may have ajax in it (do they still make ajax?). might wanna mend that fence beforehand.

similarly, i took a date to red lobster once and we sat down to order. we got our water and the waitress asked if we were ready. I said one minute.

so i asked my date, you smell that? we were sitting not too far from the kitchen i believe. she said no, what?

I said exactly. let's go. Id never been in a seafood restaurant where i couldnt smell the food. this was somewhere up north and I hadnt been back to a red lobster since.

she was embarrassed but we ended up at a good steakhouse.

1 person likes this.