Gumpville Self Reports NCAA Violations

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 7, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't think it's the first time they've self reported secondary violations under Saban. I wouldn't expect anything to come of it.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Admitting wrong doing to the little stuff allows you to skip the big stuff. Ask this guy....
    [​IMG]

Ahia State:
    2011- Ohio State acknowledged major NCAA rules violations on Friday and said it would vacate all wins from its 2010 football season as punishment,The Columbus Dispatch reports. In addition to wiping out last year’s successful 12-1 campaign, the Buckeyes have also self-imposed a two-year probation, according to the Dispatch, which obtained a copy of the university’s response today to NCAA allegations.
    2012- self reported 46
    2014- self-reported 22

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Reporting secondary violations is a smart move. Rarely do a school get significant punishment and by reporting a violation they gain credibility when defending a major claim.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

If I'm not mistaken, all schools release a statement like this. Now, whether or not it makes it "news worthy" is dependent on the school I guess.

This isn't the first time I've seen these reports from UA. It's not the first time I've seen reports like these dumped on a "news dump day" like this was: at UA or any other school for that matter.

I'm fairly certain the only thing that isn't a matter of public record are the named individuals (if they are still eligible.)

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Any school with prior problems is going to be newsworthy. We both know that. ;)

I love this violation from Corch....

"Ohio State self-reported 42 violations to the NCAA from across its athletic department in 2013, and one of them stands out above the rest as being particularly noteworthy. Urban Meyer was apparently lunching with Tim Tebow last March, when linebacker recruit Clifton Garrett (who ultimately ended up at LSU) rang him up. The Cleveland Plain Dealer has the gory details on what happened next:

Upon receiving the call, Coach Meyer informed Garrett that he was on vacation and having lunch with friends and family, including Tim Tebow. Garrett asked Coach Meyer if he could wish Tebow good luck on the upcoming season. Coach Meyer handed the phone to Tebow and Garrett conversed with Tebow for approximately eight seconds. Coach Meyer stated that no recruiting conversation occurred, there was no intent to have Tebow recruit on behalf of Ohio State and he, in fact, did not recruit on behalf of Ohio State.

Meyer also solemnly swears that the phone call was not orchestrated from his end in a nefarious attempt for Garrett to exchange a sentence or two with Tebow.

The reason the whole thing even came to light? The notorious Twitter machine, of course:

I just called Coach Meyer just ta see whats up and next thing you know I was talking on the phone to TIM TEBOW!!!#InShockRightNow#Insane!

— Clifton Garrett CG3™(@CG340)March 9, 2013

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

@uscvball There was a year under Tressel they self-reported forty something violations, praised Tressel publicly for the job he was doing while "disciplining him" privately. With 2013's number, it's a pretty easy conclusion things are moving on as normal.

I've been convinced Harbaugh is willing to play at the Meyer/Ohio State level.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I just find it amazing Alabama admits they did something wrong. That's shocking. They could club a bunch babies to death on the 50 in that overgrown toilet bowl of a stadium and find a way to spin it into a national championship.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I like ya...but you're a dumbass sometimes.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You just don't understand him.