Gun Control

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jun 12, 2011.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Step away from the gun cabinet.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I had advised her to not to get a .22 or .25 purse pistol like her friends had gotten and to look at a 38 revolver. But she let the guy at the gun store talk her into the 357 snub-nose. After she shot up her boxes of .357 ammo at the range, I got her some .38 special rounds which were easier on her.

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

A 38 special will be all the self defense sidearm she would ever need. Plenty of "get off me mf " power.

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Better yet, shot placement. If she knows how to fire a weapon accurately, stopping power isn't relevant. You can put someone down just as quick with a .38 as you can with a .357 mag.. It's just a preference as to whether you want to poke a hole through their skull, or make hamburger meat out of it.. :thumb:

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Knock 'em down then put the 2nd bullet wherever you want to.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

A 38 will definately do the job. I like my .357 much more. There is no doubt that when you pull the trigger on a .357 you're going to blow away whatever you shoot at much like the old trusted .45. I love my .45 but my .357 is much smaller and easy to use. I could not believe what my .357 done to wild hogs we caught in our trap. Lots of bang in a small package.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Most of my mom's side of the family are big into hunting. I may try to get into it when I'm older and can't play active sports anymore. Other than shooting a 44 at my friend's camp a couple of years ago (which may have permanently damaged my 'virgin' ears), I don't think I've shot a gun since winning a BB gun contest when I was 10 yrs old.

I have young kids and live in an extremely safe area. On one hand, I feel that I should learn how to shoot and care for a gun for home protection. On the other hand, it scares me a little to have two sons that get into everything. I went through all of my parent's stuff when I was a kid.

Gun control seems to involve a lot of separate discussions. One of them includes the debate of semi-automatic weapons. Considering I'm not very informed on the details of this topic, why do people need them?

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Careful now, we just had a pharmacist up here convicted of Murder 1 for doing that.

Thugs broke in and attempted to rob him, he knocked him down with the first and then put the 2nd where he wanted,

.....and the 3rd, and the 4th,

and the 5th

.... oh and why not, shot his punk ass a 6th time.

Its under appeal I think but maybe that was a bit much.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

dead is dead. why should there be a limit?

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

shot placement is exactly correct. i can use my .22 and if placement is correct, it will do the job. and as taught by a cop (and as i have mentioned before) it is two to the heart, one to the head. immediately.

the case shane is talking about is one i have been following. and the jury was correct in the guilty verdict. everything i have studied about the "make my day" law here, if the shooter had placed the shots immediately as an act of self defense, no charges. (you can fire as many rounds as you want if it is in self-defense.) the problem was, he shot the guy, walked away, got a different gun, walked back around the body on the floor, and then shot him a few more times for good measure. that was premeditated homicide, not self defense. a lot of people are mad at the d.a., but when you look at all the circumstances of the shooting, and the law, he had no other choice. once the perp is obviously badly injured, down, and no longer a threat, you cannot just think about it for a while, walk around while contemplating, then fire a few more rounds into em for good measure.

edit to add: the da even said if the shooter had stopped with his initial shooting, it was justified and no charges would have been filed.