Gun Laws

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 17, 2011.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's not really accurate. The NRA doesn't want liberal politicians to get their foot in the door, the reason for their fear being obvious. Therefore, the NRA objects to any gun control legislation.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

this is like gay rights. i just dont care eithre way because it doesnt matter to me. i could happily live in a country that banned guns and never even notice.

but less laws are generally better than more laws, and some people seem to like guns, so i say let em have what they want. for all i care we can appoint red gun czar and do whatever he says. as long as most people are sorta happy, whatever is ok with me. some people want to live in a gun free society, and i understand that, but it wont happen, not in america. and must gun-toting people are morons who think they are clint eastwood, so i dont care if they are happy either. really its a non-issue.

i think drug legalization is roughly a zillion times more important.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree, do you see how they could go hand in hand? Do you think that maybe gun violence statistics would decrease if drugs were decriminalized?

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

obviously

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I regularly shoot at a range that charges by the hour. When a magazine is empty and I have to stop shooting to reload my time is still on the clock. The bigger the magazines the more I get my money's worth in shooting time

1 person likes this.
  6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

You're right. We should use common sense, but that doesn't mean legislate it.

For people that target shoot often, the argument could be made that hi-capacity mags are great. One of my least favorite things to do at the range is re-loading my magazines. This is why I carry half a dozen of them in my gun bag loaded and ready to go when I get to the range to shoot. I'm in and out of there pronto (helps at lunchbreak), without mucking around with loose ammo, empty mags, etc..

The AZ shooter arguably could have killed and/or injured just as many people with several low-cap mags ready to go. It doesn't take long to drop one and slam another one in, especially if he had planned out what he was going to do, which he obviously did. See also: The Va. Tech shooting.. That guy wasn't using 30 round mags.

"In a backpack, he carried several chains, locks, a hammer, a knife, two guns, nineteen 10- and 15-round magazines, and almost 400 rounds of ammunition." - Wikipedia

He was sick, mentally unstable, idiot that was motivated to kill. With magazines for his weapons that would be legal in even Kalifornia (minus the 15-rounders).

And for the record, I agree that those extended 30 round clips for Glocks are ridiculous. I don't own one, but then again I have a more practical mindset. That's what should be called into question.. the shooter's mindset, not the tools he used for the job.

Right... And nobody would get fake "collector" paperwork so they could buy more. Then the gun control people will say there should be no exceptions to the law, collectors or not. Then later it will change to "there should be no guns"... I don't know how many different ways to say it, it's not the guns that are the problem, It's the PEOPLE. If I want to keep 50 M16's in my home with ammo and hi-cap mags for all of them it's my business. Not yours, not my neighbor's, and certainly not the government. As long as I keep them secure, and don't go acting irresponsibly with them and shooting people or politicians up, who cares what I have?

Don't mind this so much. Most of my gun purchases have been privately or at gun-shows so I got them when I paid for them. But I don't have a problem with buying one at a shop and having to wait for it. I'm a patient man. I don't mind requiring people to get at least SOME amount of proper firearms training as well if they want to buy a gun. They do it for something as simple as driving a car, so why not? However, I also believe there should be no such thing as a concealed carry permit either if someone's taken a gun safety course.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

See I think that's where the NRA has gotten into everyone's heads. They have fooled everyone into believing that the government is coming for all of their guns, and that we live in a dangerous world, where you need guns to protect your family. Just curious, how many of you in here other than the police and military have had to pull your gun out on someone to protect yourself and your family?

I don't think there is anyone other than Michael Moore that is advocating there be a ban on firearms.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this is where i disagree. the permit does three things.

one, it requires a background check/finger printing (at least i oklahoma) to insure that the person carrying is not a convicted felon or someone else who by law is not entitled to carry/own a gun. yes, that should be done when the gun is purchased, but i think its a good safety net. of course, i can legally own a gun so in not worried about that. i was finger printed and a background check done for my license to carry, and because i am a law abiding citizen, i dont care if my prints are on file.

two, a license insure/proves that the person has taken proper training to carry. i would feel better knowing bubba has had some sort of training when he is totin and is less likely go off half-cocked (pardon the pun). just as a license proves that a person is legally entitled to operate a car and has passed the tests to do so, a license to carry proves that a person is legally entitled with training and passed the tests to use/fire a gun.

three, it give a law enforcement officer something to go on if he pulls a person over that is carrying. person has a permit, no problem. no permit, well, why not? got a reason to not be following the law? is the person not legally entitled to own a gun and carrying anyway? btw, this is how timothy mcveigh was detained. he was pulled over for no license plate, and likely would have just received a ticket and let go. but when he had weapons and no permit, he was detained.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There are many who would like to ban ALL guns.

Personally, I don't see the fun in target shooting, but alot of people do. Those weapons that are only good for mass killing and nothing else need to go, but the anti gun crowd is not a reasonable bunch. If it's all or none, I go with all.

10. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I was against gun control WAY before I was a member of the NRA, or even remotely paid attention to them. For what it's worth, I'm not a member anymore, I got tired of them asking for money... and they still do.

But we DO live in a dangerous world. And it's not just in certain places... A very good friend of mine had to pull a gun out on a would-be robber a few months ago at 3:00am when the jackass was checking all the doorknobs of his house looking for an entry point.

The kicker is, he lives in a $300,000 house in South Baton Rouge.. ya know, in the "nice" area of town. The robber quickly fled when confronted, and my friend (being level headed) decided the threat was over and called the cops to file a report, rather than give chase. But his 1 year old and his wife were in the house, and had he not got up and caught the guy red-handed who knows what could have happened?

As for myself, I've never had to draw a gun on someone, and I'm thankful of that. However I have been threatened with one at point blank, and it phuckin' sucked. It was a Ruger .357 Magnum; I remember exactly what that barrel looked like and that I didn't like it. And furthermore, if I had been carrying at that time I would have unquestionably shot that guy at the first chance I got; I seriously thought I was going to die. Luckily, I wasn't carrying and he apparently didn't feel like killing me.

Contrary to what you may or may not think, most folks don't have a gun just because they're itching to shoot someone with it. Just like most folks that don't like guns don't want to infringe on other peoples rights to have them.