Environment Hanta virus.... another Chinese special

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by watson1880, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

My Dad does not have an undergrad degree and is a Dentist. Back in the day if you got excepted to medical school your sophomore\junior year you just went to medical school. Once you finished your medical school usually your undergrad school would just give you the degree. For whatever reason Loyola wouldn't do that for him, so he actually never graduated college. Had something to with a political battle between them and LSU, I forget.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

A college degree is most often used by employers to check a box that the graduate could keep at something for 4 years. Many, if not, most, can’t even do that.

I went to what is essentially a trade school, but still, my education prepared me for only a tiny bit of what I had to do daily at my first job.

Rolan likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They have courses like human development and you wonder why the cost of an "education" are so high. What kind of a job can you get with a degree in human development? Why of course, you can teach human development.

Unless the colleges have filled those jobs. Then you can flip burgers. Maybe if you're sharp and have a way with words you can sell insurance or used cars.

How much does this so called educator make a year?

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My daughter is taking it as a requirement for elementary education. She actually really loves this field of study, and it appears that a masters degree or higher in human development can prepare one to be a family counselor, which is something that interests her.

This semester's class is on parenting. The first day of class, each student filled in the blanks in the following sentence, Parents who __________ are _________. They shared them, and I asked her what she shared. Hers was, Parents who show up are caring. I thought it was nice that she recognized she has involved parents.

kcal and HalloweenRun like this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You certainly raised her right

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sorry but the term human development has the ring of some program by one of these motivational self help gurus like Tony Robbins.

Somebody should start one with the premise of "Suck it up, get your head out if the clouds and put your nose to the grindstone or you will end up like me. Living in a van down by the river."

Winston1 likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Huey Long never went to law school but he passed the bar and the state let him be a lawyer.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Quite a few doctors I know who went to school in the 60s and 70s at least were able to get into medical school after only 3 years of undergraduate and no degree. It was my understanding that they received an undergraduate degree on graduation from Medical school.

9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Yes but like most careers, there is typically a low ceiling. Self-employed contractors in niche fields make damn good pay when the need arises. FWIW, programmer is a fairly generic term. IT fields are broken down more/less into developers, testers, sysadmins, DBAs, architects, and security/audit. The latter of which is growing rapidly. I should have taken my CIA courses more seriously.

Rolan and tirk like this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

95671f1c-ae23-49bf-a2e4-513eb904c797_screenshot.jpg

Bengal B likes this.