Environment Hanta virus.... another Chinese special

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by watson1880, Mar 24, 2020.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I thought I had my daughter's $100,000 college education paid for...but with the dive our economy is going to be taking, who knows?

And, it's true, why in the high holy hell is college so freaking expensive? The rate of inflation in higher education is insane.

HalloweenRun and Rolan like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Somebody should start a Discount U. A no frills education. I could see a whole chain of them. Instead of having sports and building stadiums and areas the students could be fans of the local state university. Have game watching with big screen TVs in larger classrooms. Maybe the classrooms could be prefab buildings. Or in the case of Tuscaloosa Dollar U mobile homes.

Teachers could be independent contractors teach multiple simultaneous online classes at the whole Discount chain. All of the subjects and degree programs that don't lead to ever getting a job would be eliminated. No English Lit, No philosophy. No degrees in the art of haiku. No diversity crap. Black studies, Women's studies, Alternate gender studies, Flush ;em all.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    HalloweenRun likes this.
  3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

They already tried that, it was for profit colleges and they are an epic failure. Greed

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Right, because they can accept federal backed loans....

Harvard might not be "for profit", but they are in the "system".

Winston1 and Bengal B like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Those places weren't really discount. Some had pretty high tuition.

6. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

It will take some pretty radical changes to our society to fix, it should not be a primary requirement to have to most jobs like it is now. For one not every tom dick and harry needs to go to college, I didn't need to go but had to go because you can't get jobs as a programmer without one in most places. But there is not a single reason that a programmer needs to go to a 4 year university and spend that kind of money. We can train them better without all that, a year or two program at most would due well to train most.

Now I have interviewed a good amount of people coming out of technical institutes, i would not give these for profit places a good review. The general since I got from the people and these interviews were they were rip off institutions. But I will say its been almost a decade since I was in a hiring role, so things may have changed since then

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Can't a programmer get a job with no degree if he is just plain good at it? Vi know a couple of IT guys without degrees but with good jobs.

8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

CCCC for the first two years!

I was told that all of this semester of online college will be pass/fail so as not to affect GPA's. Have you heard that?

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

UNT hasn't discussed that, yet, so we don't know, though my daughter's human development professor said they won't have their pre-scheduled exams.

The kids we know that are doing Quad C aren't exactly loving life because they aren't getting a college experience, while their friends have been off enjoying themselves and having adventures. Of course, ALL of the kids are home from college now.

10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Yes you can, and its not an issue if you have years of work on your CV. But getting that first job is the hard part, and you will basically be weeded out from most positions by not having a degree. So it for sure makes it harder just to get into the interview. its silly, our HR wouldn't even consider a guy I found because he didn't have a degree. So it very much matters, but for sure you can do it without it. Elon Musk and Bill Gates have both came out and said that programmers don't need a 4 year degree.