Happy 50th, Saints!

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Nov 1, 2016.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

New Orleans was awarded an NFL franchise on November 1, 1965. This is the team's 50th season. According to nola.com, this is how we used classic Louisiana politics to finagle the franchise: Pete Rozelle was seeking an exemption to federal anti-trust laws in order for the NFL to buy the AFL and merge, but the bill was stalled in House committee. Rozelle called New Orleans sports mover/shaker Dave Dixon for some possible influence with a Shreveport congressman on the committee. Dixon said,"I don't know the guy, but I have Senator Hale Boggs' ear." Dixon called Boggs, who attached the bill to a budget bill in order to bypass the House committee. On the day the bill was to get its final Senate vote, Rozelle met up with Boggs at the Capitol (he was literally walking to the Senate chamber for the vote) and said,"I don't know how to thank you." Boggs said,"Of course you know; I thought it was a done deal. New Orleans gets a team." Rozelle said,"I'll try to get it through the expansion committee." Boggs turned to head back for his office and said,"OK, I'll cancel the vote on your bill until you straighten out your owners." Rozelle stopped him and said,"Wait! You've got your team!"

tirk, Bengal B and CajunlostinCali like this.