Harry Potter discussion for the geeks

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by mesquite tiger, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

you should really expand your horizons crawfish...there is more to life then Playboy and Sports Illustrated. :thumb: :hihi:

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I've found that the movies stick pretty close to the books.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

the universal truth of movies and books is that books are always far better than the miserable movies made from them. the one exception in the history of the world is forrest gump, which was a better movie.

4. mesquite tiger

I have always found that books are much more in depth and descriptive then the movies. I thought Jaws was a great movie, but I was blown away by the books. Same with the Harry Potter series and most of the Stephen King books I have read.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

neither have I nor care to.

toy story was ok. It was my duty to bring my nephew and i was surrisingly entertained.

you can't figure out why that is? jeez. :hihi: :hihi:

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i read today that the pope doesnt approve of harry potter books. hmm. he doesnt like crazy magic books, wizards in silly robes and hats? i assume he announced this while reading his magic book and wearing his silly robe and hat.

'...enlighten people about Harry Potter because these are subtle seductions which act unnoticed and distort Christianity in the soul' - the pope

i didnt make that quote up. that was the pope responding to the author of a book critical of harry potter.

here is a shot of the pope at hogwarts, err i mean the vatican.

[​IMG]

he has way better robes than dumbledore. it is impossible for me to look at him and think he is not joking.

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

If you are reading the books for the first time, be prepared for the first 2 to be very kiddy... they get darker as they go and more mature (not mature, but more mature)... The thing I like the most about the books is the humor... especially that of the Weesly twins... Also, I always enjoyed fantasy movies and books (grew up on The Hobbit) and also movies that were kinda boarding school type movies (Dead Poets Society, School Ties, Toy Soldiers, Taps).

8. mesquite tiger

I saw this yesterday as well on MSNBC.com.......

He made these comments when he was a Cardinal, but has since sorta changed his position saying they are good books to help children understand the difference between good and evil.

as the vicar of God, I have to believe his new stance is the correct one.

less then 24 hours to the release!!!

9. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

So Martin, are you finished yet?

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

they didnt deliver my dang book until 7 last night, and i had to watch the met game until late. then i knocked down 550 pages before i went to sleep. now i have to watch the pedro game starting right now and i will take out the remaining 100 pages or so after the mets beat up on the bravos.

i was looking forward to being way too proud of myself for finishing in one sitting right after it arrived, and i woulda done it if not for the meddling kids at the post office wating until night to deliver. i am talented at so few things i have to take an inordinate amount of pride in my reading speed.