Hartley likely done as Saints kicker

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Damn....I hope not!

2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Brunell was the holder last year and Moorstead is this year. But I've watched it dozens of times. The snap and hold were absolutely perfect. It was just a good old fashioned shank from 29 yards out. He came dangerously close to doing the same thing the previous week at SF which is troubling. That was the ugliest knuckle ball kick to ever make it through. The kid has issues he needs to work out. He's missed 3 so far this year. That's his allotment of misses for the year. That's a lot of pressure on him to go into every field goal try knowing that if you miss it you are probably going to be unemployed tomorrow.

He may be done.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I thought the replay of the SF kick showed that it was tipped at the LOS. Did anyone else see this?

If it wasn't tipped, then you're right. It was hideous looking and somehow made it through.

4. TigerBacker70

I believe it was tipped ever so slightly, but it was tipped because of how it came off of his foot low and spinning sideways. It was pretty ugly before it was tipped. Hell, the tip might have caused it to go through instead of miss!

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I saw that, too. The replay looked like it was tipped, and the commentators said that, too.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The kick vs San Fran was partially blocked. In fact the ball glanced off the arm of the 49er player and changed the trajectory from a pull hook left to down the middle of the goal post. It's hard to tell if he would have missed it, but it stood a good chance.

7. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I've run out of patience with the kid. :dis:

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

If the kick he made was just 5 yards further back, that one would have been no good too. What a head case. I'll never forget the kicks he made last year and he'll live forever in Saint's lore, but I'm afraid he's got to go. Can't trust him any more. :(

9. TigerBacker70

If I'm not mistaken, the miss today wasn't a great hold. Not to excuse it, just sayin...

10. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Fartley deserves his outright release tomorrow, the kid is done.

The FG he did make today was nearly a miss. It was the same kick in the Falcons game, but just barely squeaked in.

With the parity of the NFC this year, we can't afford to have an inconsistent kicker. I hope we bring in either Kris Brown or Matt Stover.