Has A&M cursed themselves a la the "Cholly Mac curse"?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Dec 3, 2002.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I posted this on Texags, but got little response, so I figured I'd add it here. I think it is an interesting comparison.

LSU fans and observers occasionally mention the "Charlie Mac curse" on LSU as a result of the LSU administration's forcing out of Coach Charles McClendon in 1979 after 18 years as LSU's head coach. The administration, led by AD Paul Dietzel (former LSU HC prior to McClendon on whose staff McClendon served), decided that Charlie Mac's time had passed and that he couldn't "win the big one" (including versus Alabama). With the recent departure of Slocum, I thought it was interesting to look at the careers of each coach at the two respective schools. Here is a comparison:

Slocum:

Overall record - 123-47-2 (.715)
    14 years
    0 losing seasons
    4 conference championships
    11 bowl games (not including a possible bowl this year)
    Last three seasons -- 7-5, 8-4, 6-6

McClendon:

Overall record -- 137-59-7 (.675)
    18 years
    1 losing season
    1 conference championship (many second place finishes to the Bear)
    14 bowl games
    Last three seasons -- 8-4, 8-4, 7-5

2. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

LSU problem was that

They never got a bigtime Coach and the one guy who could have been that guy went to Fla as AD.

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

... and another that could have been a bigtime coach died in a plane crash, and we passed on a few others who went on to do some decent things (Spurrier, Shanahan), etc., etc.

My point is that it is interesting to look at these two records and the circumstances in which each was "fired." I'm not necessarily predicting that A&M will go into a tailspin and have 10 losing seasons over the next 20 years as we did, but it will be interesting to see what happens in College Station and the legacy that Slocum obtains.

4. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

Bo Rein

I have often wondered how LSU would have fared had Bo Rein lived to take the job.

A few years back I was driving through Birmingham and listening to the all sports station there. At least one observer on the station believed that Bo Rein would have won "4 or 5" championships at LSU. (Not sure whether he meant SEC or National, I'm assuming SEC) According to those on this show, Rein was the "Master of The Veer" (Veer was a popular offensive scheme at the time) and a damn good coach.

We will never know !!

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Re: Bo Rein

How long was Rein officially the LSU coach before he tragically died?

6. 1LSUFAN

1LSUFAN Freshman

In November 1979 he left N.C. State to assume the top spot at LSU. He died on Thursday, January 10, 1980 (shortly before 1 am Jan. 11) along with Louis Benscotter when their plane went down.