Has anyone here backpacked the Backbone Trail in Kisatchie?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by locoguano, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

We like to boat camp, as most sites are single or double and isolated. On the non-paying sites, I bring an extra tent to help "fill" the location and store gear.;)

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Have to ask. How many snakes? Based on Red's warning, I figured you and your wife were gonna be toast. Glad you made it!

4. locoguano

Did not see a single snake... maybe they sensed the rain coming... cooled off quite a bit the second day. We did hear pigs while we were hiking out.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, they ain't out sunning on every rock. But people get snakebit every year up there by not paying attention.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  6. Tiger Exile

[​IMG]
    Finally got out camping with the low forecast to be 38. Of course the weatherman got it wrong. Good thing we were in twenty degree bags or better. Four girls 13 and 9 and they didn't complain! Good thing the coffee was on early.

locoguano and Tiger in NC like this.
  7. locoguano

I had a 32 degree bag that was cold at 50. I made the mistake of ordering an extra large sleeping bag that could fit two of me (and I am 6'2 210). Yesterday my 20 degree Long bag came in... Its a snug fit but plenty of length to put my clothes at the bottom of the bag. (If you've never done that when its cold out, try it. Its great to wake up and put on warm clothes on a cold morning.)

Tiger Exile likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I always hated to pack the bulky winter bag. It's pretty much a base camp bag for me now. I go with the light bag when packing almost always. If there is a chance of a cold night I just supplement it. I carried a light wool army blanket when I was young and just lined the bag with it on a cold night. It was a good indian robe around the campfire on cold mornings, too. Later I went to a light army surplus poncho liner--a light nylon quilt with thin polyester fill. It was much lighter, but very bulky in the pack. Nowadays I use thin, light fleece blanket that takes up less space and is equally light, less noisy, warm, and warmer to the touch.

Tiger Exile likes this.
  9. Tiger Exile

I have a fleece liner that I can use if needed and it is great. My bags are actually light, but cost more for their rating. I got them for the Appalachian Trail where every ounce counts. I have slept in a "Ranger Roll" which utilizes the liner and poncho in combination and it is really not bad in decent weather.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yep, we used to always strip to our skivies in the military sleeping bags and we're always plenty warm. Really sucks if you forget to pull your uniform in at night though. As nice as putting on warm clothes is, putting on cold or wet or both is no bueno

HalloweenRun and Tiger Exile like this.