Has anyone here backpacked the Backbone Trail in Kisatchie?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by locoguano, Mar 10, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We always had to warn tenderfoot boy scouts never to sleep in the clothes that they wore all day. Some of them thought they would be warmer on really cold nights if they just took off their boots and kept their clothing on in the bag. But even on winter days, they perspire in those clothes hiking all day. When they got still in the bag at night the moisture in their clothes would give them the chills. If you got 'em, it is better to put the dry clothes you plan to wear tomorrow in the bag and let the clothes you wore all day dry out in the air.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Wouldn't it be better to change into dry clothes to sleep in than waking up naked on a freezing morning?

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I always carry an extra baselayer set to sleep in. If its extra cold I bring along some fleece pants as well and my fleece jacket... bulky, put I put them in a compression sack. I just got some heavy ski socks on winter clearance to use in the fall... soft and warm wool/poly blend.

4. red55

If it makes you feel better, Bashful. Part of camping is roughing it. Sometimes you get cold and wet.

5. red55

When it is really cold I sleep with dry wool socks and and a wool knit cap. Only rarely I will wear long johns. If I can keep my head and feet warm, I'm good.

Tiger Exile and tigermark like this.
  6. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Our issued bags came with a lightweight head cover that is awesome.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Dont get it, the bag is usually waterproof and you should always waterproof your pack so the clothes are always dry, nice and toasty if you put them in the bag with you.
    I never sleep with socks on, I find my feet get colder that way.

You are right about the head and feet, that's roughing it 101, once your feet get cold it's over.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Hands, feet, and kidneys works for me.
    My cold weather bag has one and I agree. Camping in the Sierras and it made a huge difference.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Only if you got a new bag.

I LOVED those little hats. My platoon Sgt would always yell at me because I was always running around wearing it instead of that stupid helmet.

Until I became the Plt Sgt then the 1Sg would yell at me because the whole damn platoon was wearing them

Tiger Exile likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

A great friend of mine, Currently head of 3M Europe, is a West Point grad. He was not into wet clothes so he found a little known reg and requested a commission in Navy. The West Point Superintendent denied it. In passing he told his mom, who happened to call child hood friend about it. Oh, the friend was a guy by the name of Ford, Gerald Ford, who was POTUS. Chuck, the next day, got called into Superintendent's office, got chewed out, and got permission to Geaux Navy. Great gain for navy, but he put on wet clothes one time too many!