Has anyone noticed a bracket bias?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ken Ross, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Ken Ross

Ken Ross Founding Member

I kind of noticed in the men's brackets, how all the SEC schools were kind of set up to play each other early. But if you look at the women's bracket it really stands out. LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Florida, and Ole Miss are all on the same side of the bracket. Do they do this to keep conferences from having minimal chances of having multiple teams in the Final Four, or are the just screwing the SEC?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I posted that as soon as the brackets were announced

the selection committee has a bias about the SEC and teams coached by men. they will try to make sure only one SEC team can reach the tournament final. they will usually put the teams coached by men in the same brackets also so that they are sure to have a women coach in the final.

4. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Take a look at the bracket Alabama was put in. They had to play the #1 mid-major team, then the #1 team in the nation, followed by the defending National Champions. U.Conn finally pounded the Tide into submission.

Congratulations to the SEC teams for finishing the tournament with a 7-6 winning record.

5. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

WHAT? You are complaining about your bracket???!!! It was a cake-walk for UConn because of all the weak teams in that bracket. One of the easiest brackets in recent memory.

6. rookie

rookie Founding Member

No doubt about it. In one region the SEC has the 1 and 2 seed as well as the 5 seed. That is unbelievable. The SEC will have half the elite 8 if everything plays out like it should and wil only be able to get half to the Final 4 because LSU has to play Ga and Vandy has to play Tennessee. Then the winner of that has to play each other. While on the UConn and Penn St side of things, they put one SEC team in there and a lower tier one in Auburn at that. Typical of the NCAA. Their bias has really become tiresome. After the SEC sends 4/8 teams to the college world series. The entire format is changed to kill any such possibilities ever again. Jealousy is a bitch and the SEC is the barometer by which all other conferences are measured. It is easier to knock them down by biases, investigating every SEC program within a 5 year period all the while knowing that even the small schools

7. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

i have to give a congrats to the tide. they played great. they beat syracuse, defending champions, and stanford, that was only beaten once all year. great run even though LSU beat them twice.

8. TigerInTally

TigerInTally Founding Member

It seems to me that 5 or 6 years ago that the SEC sent 4 teams to the elite 8. Ever since then, the brackets have been set up so that this won't happen again. I think I remember reading somewhere where the selection committee saying that they needed to look at the seeding process to prevent it from happening again. Then again, I could be imagining things.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

This years Final Four has 2 teams from the ACC.

10. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

The men's tournament always sets it up so that no two teams from the same conference can meet until the Elite 8 (the only way that can't happen is if a conference has more than 8 teams, which is impossible).

The women's tournament on the other hand is ridiculous. They just reshape their brackets to match the home sites. Stanford wins the Pac-10 regular season and tournament, they get a 6 seed. La Tech has two losses all year, they get a 5 seed. UConn gets a #2 seed, but they still get put in the East bracket and are playing #1 Penn State AT HOME in the regional final.