Has LSU lost its tailgating luster (a reply)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by danthetigerfan, Oct 10, 2007.

1. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

I have been a fan of LSU for a long time but I did not go to school there. The first game I attended was against Alabama (LSU lost) I was hooked. The year was approx. 87 or 88. Those were very lean years until Saban showed up. Now to my point, During the lean years Tickets were easy to get (most of the time free) parking was easy (you could pull up just about anywhere and tailgate all day and night. It was fun and relaxing. Now that the Tigers are winning the Rich Folk bought up all the tickets and parking spaces. Security is crazy (we used to get to the stadium early sneak in and play a quick game football ) now we would be put in jail. I guess what Im trying to say is.. In a way It has lost a little luster for me. LSU has priced the middle man out the picture. Even when I get tickets there is nowhere to park (unless you can afford the parking passes) Where were all these people when LSU was down? LSU seems to have forgotten about people like me. (guess thats business) With that said, I still go when I can and Im still a big fan of the Tigers. P.S would someone donate 25,000.00 so I can get season tickets and a parking pass? :rofl:

2. psulions2007

psulions2007 Founding Member

The more the merrier, IMO.

(But then again, I go to PSU, and tailgating is insane here even for games like FIU or when our team just blows)

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Here is my thing. and this does tie in to many of other threads that I've already read into and the problem is bigger than tailgaiting. I'm a Tiger fan through and through but married to a woman from OKC. Many of her friends and family went to the 03 NCG while I was in Iraq and came back with nothing but horrible stories of how bad they were treated by the LSU fans. A few examples, spitting on people, cussing out the elderly (talking 70 plus in age) a very good friend of mine said he was checking out of his hotel the next moring and happened to be next to an LSU fan and said to him "well, I guess the best team won last night" and just caught an earfull of "YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT MF'R" To me, that is just not right, why can't we just be gracious in victory. IMHO that is where we are losing it. I have did my best to defend the actions of the fans at the 03 NCG and told all of my Oklahoma friends that this is just not the way LSU fans are, they just don't treat people that badly. After reading the post after the USCe game and the Fla game I'm not so sure that I have firm ground to stand on. I'm not alum, however I am a La native and I'm as big a Tiger fan as you will ever find I just hope this trend doesn't continue.

1 person likes this.
  4. ATL_Tigah

ATL_Tigah Founding Member

These are the glory days of the LSU Football Program. Big time college programs, require big time $$ to keep them on top, a necessary evil in the largest 'amateur' sport in the country. Things have definitely changed since 87-88, but there is also no shortage of folks lining up for a shot at season tickets, parking passes, etc. Your shot at 'rich' folks is somewhat off-base in my opinion; true, you can jump priority with HUGE TAF donations (5 and 6 figures) but there are not that many of those folks out there. The current priority system rewards consistency and longevity. If you supported the Tigahs through the early 80's, and through the 90's (like some) you would have killer seats, and a matching parking spot. If that makes you rich, someone forgot to tell my bank that. :eek:

Enjoy the ride! GEAUX TIGAHS!

1 person likes this.
  5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It's not LSU, it's college football. If LSU didn't do the things they are doing, we wouldn't be as competitive on the field. It takes a huge amount of money these days for a college football program to compete at a high level every year.

College football is a big business requiring big money.

6. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

Funny, every opponents forum I've read this year has overwhelmingly positive posts on their trip to TS. Stop lumping a few obnoxious coonasses with the entire fanbase.

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

It's the old "supply and demand." When the program is HOT, the tickets are harder to come by. I've been in the restroom in TS and seen a guy throw quite a few tickets on the floor that he could not sell. Won't happen today.

ENJOY THE SEASON..........WHEREVER YOU STAND.............

A friend of mine was in my office today. He is an OM fan with season tickets on the 45 yd line. He was complaining today about a lot of things. One thing he did say was, " the announced attendance for last sat. game was 50k. But that was the SOLD tickets. (season, etc.) There wasn't 30k there."

Want to trade problems?:bncry:

8. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

Thank you very much for pointing that out. Is that what you want DTHF? Would it make you happy for LSU to be the dwellers of the SEC, so you can park a few hundred yards closer (god forbid you have to walk), and maybe get a pickup game on the field. Thats ridiculous.

LSU IS the best team in the nation. That rocks my world!!! i LOVE having hundreds of THOUSANDS of fans on campus prior to kickoff. i LOVE having ESPN GAMEDAY, CBS SPORTS and SEC SPORTS all on camus for the SAME GAME. Thats amazing. If you are a top recruit anywhere in the nation deciding where to go, LSU IS the top!!!

Now if you wouldnt rather the Latter, go be an Ole Miss fan.:angryfire (Sorry col reb)

9. danthetigerfan

I was not trying to take shots at anyone (sorry if I offended anybody) I Had season tickets in 98 through 01(2 tickets 400.00 per plus 50.00 donation (fee). When I went into business for myself I could only make 1 or 2 games a year so I let them go. I can not touch those tickets at that price now. (upper deck). Now that Im doing well and settled with my small operation I will get more tickets. Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

10. danthetigerfan

My statement was a reply to another thread on how some outsiders have said that LSU tailgating has lost some Luster. My reply was just my opinion on why that may be. funny you bring up ole miss......they were stated as being good tailgaters. with that I do not want want to go back to the lean years. sorry I made you angry, didnt mean to do thatl.

1 person likes this.