Haven't had time to post much, but my thoughts on the season thus far:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Sep 5, 2006.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I've busy as all hell with school and work and haven't been able to come to the forum as much as I'd like to, but I just wanted to point out a few things about our team and coaches after game one...

First off I must say that I'm impressed with the way Miles has been talking to the media this season. He's NO CNS for sure! I like the way he sneaks in a little bit of arrogance without coming off as a prick. He has a certain aura about him that shows his confidence in his team's abilities--I REALLY like that.

Second off: I know this was USL, but our offense looks FRIGHTENING! I'm not worried about this aspect of the game at ALL this season...

Thirdly: ALLEY B! Need I say more? It's awesome to see him running with authority. I was disapointed with JV, but the line looked to be blocking a little better when AB was rushing (I wonder if this is akin to the Booty/Davey, Mauck/Randall, Flynn/Russell types of controversies?)

It was good to see RP get in on the action although I would have liked to see LSU put another score up instead of running the clock out... If you can't stop third-stringers, USL, it's not our fault!

I'll wait until after next week to comment on our defense, but all in all, you have to be pleased with the way this team has been performing.

Everything that Miles has been saying about this team has me ready to believe we'll go undefeated--but of course we'll have to see how everything pans out...

Well... I'm heading back to my studies so I can get everything out of the way for Saturday!

:geauxtige

2. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I will say that our play-calling still looks rather predictable. I know this much: if we're in a set with only one wide receiver and that receiver is Early Doucet, we'll be running the ball everytime. I also wasn't too fond of the three and outs where we passed on every down or ran on every down.

I know, I'm being picky, but at least I had to look for something!

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think those 3 and outs with only passing or running were scripted. It looked, frankly, like the coaches viewed this game as a dress rehearsal scrimmage, to be quite honest.

I'm looking for much more imaginative play-calling from here on out.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Playcalling was predictable. But you would have to think the coaches were trying to hide a lot of things.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's either a run or a pass. It's a 50-50 shot. Hard not to be predictable.

6. Cubix

Cubix Founding Member

Don't underestimate the suprise punt.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I've been trying for 4 years to get one of the guys who say our play calling is predictable to sit next to me at a game and bet $5 bucks a play, I say that won't get more than 15% correct.

8. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

hey tigerfan23,
    Go back and watch the TD to Early in the 2nd Qtr. Amazing Early was the only rec. and we threw to him guess we suprised UL. Anyway I thought playcalling was much better. I hate 3 straight runs like on the second poss.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Well of course the play-calling was a tad bit predictable, but do you really need to open up the book to beat USL? Compared to previous seasons, however, I liked how the coaches "abandoned" the run when it was obviously not working and resorted to an all-out "air-raid." Maybe it's the fact that we finally have a QB that has all of the requisite tools required to do such... but it seems to me like CNS (or Fisher) tried to force the run at times instead of beating a team with our passing game. I know that the run is a necessity in the SEC, but I also LOVE to see the ball get aired-out a bit.

10. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Well maybe I should've clarified that I was referring to the earlier part of the game, particularly the part where we couldn't seem to get any more points on. Once they spiced things up a bit, we put more points on the board. I'm just saying that I hope we don't continue to do things like that. It's predictable play-caling like that that almost killed us last year.

I admitted I was being picky, which I think is a good thing. In order to find some glaring problems from that game, you have to be picky!