Hawkins

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by shane0911, Jan 2, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I think he's more athletic, arm looks to be a little longer. He looks to be the typical LOT. He will progress with Grimes.

There is some talk of Alexander playing the right side OT. To me he needs to drop a few pounds. Just a guess that he will have his shot, if he can't, I look for Pocic to take the position.

Austin is another that could be on the mix, or he could transfer out.

I had asked if Evan Washington wanted to try and get another year, I was told, Evan passed on it.

Last year they were trying to plug and play. Them it was, let's just get the 5 best players on the field.

With the ones that have played this year, Dodd, Pocic, Hawk and Alexander gives them a great start.

We look to have great depth at the OL, something that has long been missing.

The staff really has liked Clapp, Brumfield, Boutte and Malone.

Hawk finished a meet in 2012 with a shot put throw of 55ft 4 Inches. I've seen those numbers before somewhere?
    Like I said Hawk was in football, baseball, basketball, Track and Field while at West St Marys high school .

Remember being athletic is one thing that helped Trai Turner in last years draft.

We are gonna see OL being drafted out of LSU, more in the next few years. Something that has been missing the last few years.

Another name I forgot was KJ Malone, just going off the top of my head.

Crossed the border into Mexico today.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Good job

LSUDad likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If Pocic wants it, he may be able to take over at right tackle this year. He's the right size, athletic, smart enough to play any position on the line and the scouts are already all over him. It may depend on how Dodd develops at center or if Pocic has plans to go pro after next season.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The staff has used Brumfield, Clapp, Dodd and Pocic at the center position.

I could see Grimes just doing like he did this year, getting the best 5 linemen out there. I could see Pocic at ROT and moving to Left next year. The last LSU player I remember playing all 5 positions on the OL Rudy Nicewanger

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The writeup below talks about Collins. I liked the year La'el had under Grimes, he worked the position so much better this year. The part where getting into the second level is what Grimes wants done. Like I said before, since 2001, LSU has only had 5 OL drafted into the NFL. We will have 5 drafted within the next few years. What they are getting under Grimes is starting to pay off. Seeing the field, blocking angles, good knee bend and pad level, are the things Grimes has these guys working. Playing together as a unit.

Having Hawk and Alexander returning, along with Pocic, starts off a good OL this next year. Add Dodd, Austin, Boutte and KJ Malone all played in games last year. Some talk of Alexander playing ROT, he still needs to drop a few. Might see Alexander and Pocic battle for the position. One way or another, this will be a plus.

OT La'el Collins (LSU)
    Collins has been the best lineman at the Senior Bowl, according to multiple NFL scouts. While he may not be the most athletic of linemen, Collins packs a punch. He keeps good leverage and is tough.

It was all on display Wednesday. Collins showed an ability to reach the second level and punish defenders in his path. On one play, he leveled Georgia linebacker Amarlo Herrera at the second level. Herrera flew several feet in the air and was knocked to the ground.

"I think he moves very well for his size. So not only does he have the strength, he can 1) reach, if you want to run outside runs. He can get to the second level as we saw [Wednesday]," Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris said. "I think La'el is a true left tackle starter but in a very different mold than we saw taken in recent years early in draft. ... He's one of the best tackles in this class, the best prospect here [at the Senior Bowl]."

Overall: Collins looks to have solidified himself as a first-round pick.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015