HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by wjray, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I read where Pizzolatto drew much of the theme of TD from it. You can see how Cohle gets drawn into that mythos. He says to Ledeoux, "what is that f'ing Nietzsche!" when Ledoux starts spouting out "Black Stars, Carcosa, Your going to do this again" stuff. He isn't aware then but in 2013 he talks like a believer to the detectives.

I read HP Lovecraft stories years ago. He drew his horror and mythos from The King In Yellow also. The idea that the human mind can only comprehend just so much of what is universal knowledge. To be exposed to more than that would cause insanity.

What happens between 2002 and 2013 I can't wait to see. Seeing it might make us insane though. I might watch the rest on the next day just to be safe.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Shit is so interesting. Cohle's character is by far the most interesting character I have ever seen in any television show or movie.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That would be way to obvious of a twist imo because the last episode was trying to somewhat force that theory down our throats. Probably way more complicated than that. Now did he in some way start to follow the same path as this ring in some form or fashion? Maybe…

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Can't be. He is way too invested in unraveling the devils nest. Yunno, the pyramid made with twigs. It's an object and the only thing physically made by the killer that he can put in his hand to truly find the mind of the killer. I do not think we have met the killer yet, but that is just me...

5. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Cohle is definitely not the killer. (Which, of course means he almost certainly is because I just said that.) the identity of the killer is almost secondary to me at this point. No matter who it turns out to be the story is about Harte and Cohle.

I don't know if I'll be able to really express this right now because I'm on my mobile, but I really like the whole "time as a flat circle" concept. I especially like it as a way to explain the viewer/performer relationship. For the characters they will always be in those positions and who knows how many times they'll have those conversations because we, ad viewers, can replay them over and over.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I don't think we have met the killer. I think the killer is involved with Rev. Tuttle somehow and at the very least, Tuttle is a player. I think there are a lot of wealthy, powerful people involved in this "cult" which leads to a cover-up of sorts under pressure. I don't think this sits well with Cohle, which motivates his exile behind the inevitable falling out with Marty. I think Marty wants Cohle to let it go and move on while Cohle just can't put it past him knowing that the killer is still out there. It also motivates his "return" (or did he ever really leave?) in 2010 to continue investigating these murders on his own and eventually Tuttle's death. I think eventually the killer is brought forward, but not until a terrible price has been paid by someone close to Marty and/or Cohle.

I have also thought that possibly Marty is in on this "investigation" with Cohle. He mentioned being involved in "Promise Keepers" in the last episode. Perhaps Marty is investigating things from that angle while Cohle has disappeared off the grid to investigate from a more anonymous angle.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I have the whole series to this point DVR'd, but haven't watched a single episode yet. Guess it's time to start.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

You might as well wait a couple more weeks...

9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

[​IMG]

Beth, ohhh Beth.

[​IMG]

Maggie raping Rust was the biggest pile of warm dogshit ever. Aside from being a pretty hot vixen she ranks pretty tops for shittiest show wife ever.

Anybody notice Reverend Tuttle wearing a yellow tie? Bit too obvious he is not the killer but certainly implies he is pretty deep within this cult theory going on.

Can't get away from Marty being part of this cult. Couple of easter eggs got put out there making his involvement hard to overlook.

How does a square jawed knuckle dragger like Harrilson get nothing but perfect 10's endlessly throughout this show?

[​IMG]

Brutal. Roped her in like daddy's little girl and then shags her brain on the way out. Ruthless.

2 episodes left. This won't end well.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I will join the discussion after I catch up. Starting the series tonight.