Heading to class in the morning?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BayouBengal, Jan 20, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Heading to class in the morning?

I second that. The main thing is to go to class and participate.

Since you are a ISDS major, if you plan to get a job in IT when you graduate, get real world experience while you're in college.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Heading to class in the morning?

I have Danos for BLaw. That class is going to be a lot of work.

DieHardLSUFan, the requirments fo rthe Buisiness School is 3.0 now. I think journalism and buisiness are the only two senior collegesd with a 3.0 requirment. If I had stayed in basic sciences I would only need a 2.0 But I wanted to get away from Computer Science and I hated the calculus classes we had to take.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Forgot all about Breaux (was it Phil?)

Phil Breaux reminded me of Hubie Brown. Lots of knowledge and can work well with the kids. I've been missing college life lately but I forgot there were some things about school at LSU that I didn't like (scheduling, Ceba, those ISDS profs). I guess I was also lucky that I got in the College of Business (around '97) before this 3.0 requirement.

As far as ISDS goes, scheduling seemed to make a big difference for me. Some teachers were easy to understand and it was possible to do well, others I could translate only a few words here and there. ISDS classes always seemed to have like 20 points curves on tests. I had one ISDS class that I'm pretty sure no one learned a thing.

4. Who are your teachers...?

BayouB - who are your ISDS teachers?

I graduated in that, albeit awhile back (96). Just curious who's teaching what and what the classes are. I might have a few tips from back in the day.

5. eric d

eric d Founding Member

The only thing I had that was a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol level. Good luck. You better say goodbye to your friends, and spend a few hours a day in the library, or somewhere that can allow you to be alone. I had some trouble studying at my place because of all the distractions. I know it's crazy, but you might actually have to read the chapters. I was lucky enough that I never had to get that drastic. I would also make friends with your profs, and tell them your situation. Many of them might be sympathetic, and may offer some guidance. You should also make friends with some of the nerds in class. Ask them to help you study.

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

my first semester at LSU, if you ADDED my gpa and my 2 roommates gpa's together you didn't get 2.0. i think my blood alcohol level hovered around the 4.0 mark that semester as well. didn't know what class was much less where or when they were. but boy i had a good time.

Bayoubengal, not too late to get in Breaux's class.....if he's still teaching. it is a really easy class if you just go and participate......very possible to make an A in there which it looks like you need plenty of those.

7. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

Re: Who are your teachers...?

Same here, ISDS 96. We probably had classes together. I'd also be interested to know who's teaching what. I heard that Deb Ghosh is no longer with the program. He was a real hard ass.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1973 was a long time ago

Man, you guys make me glad I'm long out of school. How long? Well, my first semester at LSU:

tuition was $139
    semester in the stadium dorm was $89
    3 meals a day in the cafeteria was $4.50
    Books were about $200 a semester

And gas was 36 cents a gallon!

9. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

Bayou, sounds to me like you're an ISDS major. I was at LSU too. I went from 92-94, took 6 years off, then came back in 2000 and last semester had to transfer with every bit of pride I had left to ULL in their answer to ISDS, BSAT. I can totally relate with you on that. College isn't what it used to be. You have to kick ass from the get go or you can forget getting into the Senior college unless you want a degree in general studies or something. I was faced with having to go to school taking bogus courses for 2 years and make A's in all of them just to get my overall to a 3.0. Changing majors and screwing around can wreak havoc on your overall GPA. 2 problems with ISDS at LSU: not enough sections and/or professors, too many engineering majors that chicken out of engineering their 4th semester and decide to go the BSAT route, which totally overcrowds the classes. All that sad, my advice to you about your classes:

ISDS 2001 - very easy....do the homework, go to class, get an A (especially if you have Joni as a prof)
    the others, not too bad.....3001 is a lecture with a term paper at the end.

Just remember, if all else fails you can pull a me and get in over here LOL!!! ULL's answer to ISDS is identical courseload, if you can deal with the losers that have small penis syndrome about LSU.

Good Luck!

10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I have Joni for 2001, I had her for 2000 also. She is a good teacher. I screwed around too much my first 3 or 4 semesters. I was also computer science back then and all you needed was a 2.0 for that degree which I can get a 2.0 in most classes in my sleep. Now, I can get B's like noone else's buisinesss, but A's are damn hard to come by. I will just have to buckle down and kick some ass. If I stay with this set of courses I will be able to grad in Spring 04. If I start to take some junk courses I will have to wait a semester and grad in Winter 04. Hmmm, maybe I should get one of those "pretigous non-accredited degrees for 49.95 + shipping&handling" from one of those info-mercials that come on late at night.