Heard on Bama sports radio that BCS has not renewed....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDAN, Oct 27, 2004.

1. LSUDAN

LSUDAN Founding Member

its contract with ABC. Looks like other networks will get a shot at carrying the BCS. I hope it is CBS. Didn't know if this has been talked about yet.

This info came from an interview with Mike Slive the SEC commisioner.

2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I hope NONE of them carry it and we get a playoff! :)

Of couse CBS HighDef is awesome and that would be a treat.

3. Blackstripes

Blackstripes Founding Member

by the time they renew, it will all be HighDef
    :geaux:

4. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

Yes it is. ABC does also broadcast the BCS games in HD(last year's Sugar Bowl looked great), even though they don't seem to do it for any regular college games. I would imagine that is because they are mostly regional coverage games.

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I know the sugar bowl was high def (plenty of it was up-converted but thats another story) but when it comes to that realm of broadcasting ABC sucks. They dont have enough cameras, never do enough games or events and just plain dont give a rip about HD.

CBS is, by far, the leader in providing live sports events and network programming in High Def video with dolby digital sound. Almost every single SEC game this year has been in HD and they look PRISTINE! They are the real pros when it comes to HD.

6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I have to slightly disagree. If you said college football, I would totally agree with you, based on the available options.

However, NFL on Fox is, IMO, the best sports broadcast in HD. Picture, 5.1. Its all there.

7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

For NFL yes, Fox is very good but their network stuff blows. Enhanced definition for network programming is sub par.

For overall delivery of the network programming "AND" sports, its CBS. Of course that could change at any time as the networks get on board.

Plus, you have to have a good local affiliate that passes through the network stuff for the very best quality uncompressed OTA High Def. HD on that sat providers or the cable companies is not near as good. While the sat providers have bandwidth issues, there is no excuse for cable. They should be able to push the full 45MB feed but they dont.

8. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

I don't know, MNF on ABC looks damn good to me. I would agree that they don't do enough games, however.

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Let's hope it is CBS. If it is, our conference will get the same "bias" the other conferneces enjoy on ABC. The only setback or problem will be that CBS will probably broadcast less SEC games over a season since they will broadcast other conferences as well. However, I like the idea of the SEC getting a little of that special treatment ABC reserves for their pet conferences.

For the record . . . if the BCS does go away, something will quickly take it's place (it won't be a playoff). The networks have ZERO control over if there is a playoff or not. IF you do want a playoff then you need to conatact university presidents, they are the ones who control Div 1 football and the lack of playoffs. ESPN and ABC can bitch and moan all they want, they can even refuse to broascast any more college football games, and they can tell us how "important" it is to make a switch . . . but they have zero control over a future playoff. The only people who can change anything are the university presidents. And it is going to take more than a few internet polls to change their minds.

Also, how much do your trust human poll voters? That is huge question, because with or without a playoff, the human voters are not going anywhere. If you want any kind of fairness to be used in the bowls or playoff format, we need a "3rd" voting party (computers, BCS,whatever). When you have 120 teams playing under the same umbrella, you need someone or something to rank those teams for bowls or playoff seeding.

Honestly, do you think in a playoff format dominated by human voters a 2 loss SEC team would jump a 1 loss PAC 10 team for a playoff spot? It's possible a 2 loss SEC team could jump a PAC 10 team, but I wouldn't want to test it. Just as an example, I would assume a two loss SC team and a two loss Ark team wouldn't be seem as the same by the human votes, the people who would stock the playoffs. It's sad, but we need a 3rd voting system to try and balance things out. Get rid of the BCS and we could see a set back to the SEC. Just a thought.

Keep this in mind . . .The Rose Bowl has already signed a new deal with ABC that will keep it on the network until 2014. Doesn't sound like a playoff is in our near future. Of course anything can change.