Heat Issues - Oregon State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Aug 16, 2004.

1. atxfan

atxfan Founding Member

TEAM SPEED is what OSU needs to worry about. Temperature and humidity are things that both teams will have to deal with. If it's hot outside you are going to feel it no matter how much time you've spent dealing with it.

2. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

I've always wondered how LSU going to Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Evanston, Columbus, Madison or Iowa City in November with temps in the 20s and snow would be affected versus a big ten team coming down in September when it's hot and humid. But Nick's used to November weather, but I have a feeling that a Southern team going up North in November or even when it's gets cold in October would have more trouble than a Northern team going down South in Setember. I think the weather in November contributes to the perception that the big ten is big and slow. You have to run more in that weather and defense is at a premium. From my experience cold "hurts' more than heat and is more uncomfortable and slows you down. I've talked to Southerners who say that they can't stand the cold at all.

Notre Dame and USC work it out so USC comes to South Bend in October and ND goes to Los Angeles in November. That's a fair trade.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If that is the case then why are so many southern players big stars for northern NFL teams? Brett Favre is from the Mississippi Gulf Coast yet he thrives on the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field. New England is becoming known as LSU North.

4. Ralph_Wiggum

Brett is in Green Bay from July to January. You go through the seasonal change and get used to it. Didn't Tampa Bay for years have a losing record when game time temp was below 32? There's a difference between getting used to Fall and Winter temps over a season versus hopping on a plane Thursday or Friday and playing on Saturday when you've spent the whole season down South. It gets hot and humid during the summers up here and so when a northern team goes down South it's tough, but it's not like they've never experienced 90 degree days in August practice with humidity versus Southern Players maybe never even playing in the snow or in being out in below freezing temps for a few hours.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I remember a couple of really cold snow games in Fayetteville and at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. The Tigers didn't like it at all and it showed. I can't imagine them playing in Ann Arbor or State College, PA. in November.

6. Ralph_Wiggum

Yeah, that's why the fairest thing to do with North-South out of conference games is to work it out so the Southern team comes up in Sept. and the Northern team comes down in November. LSU could play Minnesota anytime with the metrodome being their home field.

7. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Back to the Beavers. I know people that moved from Lafayette to North West Texas. When they come back the humidity kills them.

These boys are dragging by halftime. Just the same thanks for playing.

8. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

I'd happily give 'em a bucket full...

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats probably just a coincidence. Tampa Bay had some pretty bad teams for quite a few years and they lost lots of games when the temp was over 32 also with players from Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and other northern states.

Another fact about the Bucs is that they have never run a kickoff back for a TD in the history of the franchise.

Until they lost to the Falcons in the 2002 playoffs the Packers had never lost a home playoff game when the game time temp was below 32. All streaks come to an end sooner or later.

10. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

:rofl: :lol:
    this has to be the funniest thing every northerner says.
    have you ever been here in august?