Heisman Frontrunner

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MALONE121212, Mar 31, 2004.

1. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

It's got to be the QB of USC. Playing in the no def. of the Pac 10 he will likely put up huge #'s. I also think Sproles from Kansas State will have a shot depends alot on Qb play. But really looked good against OU. I think Vincent is as good but bc of our depth he might not get the stats. But he got the stats in SEC champ game and the NC. Who is your frontrunner?

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I dont know with the way their team seems to be falling apart.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My question is this: how important, really, is the Heisman? It's a popularity contest, and its recent past recipients are many times busts at the next level.

4. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

Exactly. How is it that the best player in college football is consistently on a top ten team and only from a small handful of positions? I'll respect the Heisman when some OLineman from Central Florida wins it. Until then its just another example of media stupidity.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

If the Heisman Trophy really did go to the best football player in the country,
    it would go to an offensive tackle more often than not.

That having been said, I'd have to put Leinert out there as the early frontrunner, with (his Sugar Bowl performance notwithstanding - got to give
    a returning winner his props) Jason White up there as a close second.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

If Jason White is truly a frontrunner, after the whippin' we laid on him, I'll lose even more respect for the award.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I'd kind of rather attribute that whippin' as more of a function of our outstanding defense than to how bad White was/is, Stacey. He did put up some pretty good numbers, albeit against (to me, at least) some questionable defenses. And, as I said, as the returning winner, he will get his props from the national media, especially if he gets off to a good start.

8. conradj

conradj Founding Member

A returning Heisman Winner will always be one the early favorites. I doubt he wins again though

9. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Leinart has to be the early favorite. Vincent might get some consideration but no freshman or sophomore has ever won the award. Sproles is a good choice. He's a dyamic little runner who racked up major yards last year for KState. He has to stay healthy though. As usual people will step up during the course of the season and get some major consideration for the award.

10. BB

BB Founding Member

And the 2004 Heisman Trophy goes to...

EARLY DOUCET!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: