Hello 2003 National Champ Team fans!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by UT88-92, Jul 1, 2004.

1. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

I don't know. There are a lot of Broussards in Louisiana ;)

What's the word on the Vols. I must admit I know very little about the Vols this year. I know the QB poisition is up in the air. What about the rest of your talent? Do you have a tough schedule?

2. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

Welcome to the Board

Randall is our likely starter at QB, but most figure that JaMarcus Russell will be the starter by midseason.

There is no deeper running back corps in the country. Seriously, if we put our 5th string guy in (Barrington Edwards), there will be a lot of people saying, "'Bout dang time!" Huge experienced line to go with 'em. No worries here, mate.

LSU lost very little on defense from last season. Lavalais is gone, but Claude Wroten may have people asking, "Chad who?" before he graduates. Hill may be the toughest to replace at DE, but the Tigahs will likely do it by committee at that end. Marcus Spears is a pre-season AA at the other end. LSU has the two best corners in the SEC (Webster and Daniels) and a JUCO transfer who got raves in spring ball to back them up. Two of the three LB's are back. Overall, reports are that the defense is even faster this year than last year. If you score, grab a mat, bow and praise Allah.

As for receivers, there is far more talent than experience. Skyler Green is back for his junior year. Sophomores Dwayne Bowe (remember that name) and Buster Davis saw plenty of action but caught few passes in 2003. We are all still waiting to see Amp Hill, Early Doucet, Xavier Carter (bullet with cleats), and Lavelle Hawkins take the field. Hill would've been a part-time starter as a true FR had he not hurt his knee last August.

Basically, with the O-line, RB's and defense that LSU has coming back, it's gonna be tough not to be extremely optimistic.

As for whippin' dem Dawgs, it'll be our pleasure to put 'em in the kennel once and for all.

BTW, you guys got a real good commit from my neck of the woods last week. Jonathan Crompton will be a great one. I've seen him play several times and he is the real deal. Most accurate HS QB I've ever seen.

Good luck this season. Hope you come back to visit often.

GEAUX TIGAHS!!!!

3. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

Yeah the schedule is kind of tough

Obviously SEC slate with: Florida, UGA, BAMA, and then we have Notre Dame this year. Not sure what we will see from the Irish. Thought Tyrone had turned things around until last years collapse.

UT is kind of a quandry. I have to say they havent really played exciting UT football since the last game of 2001 in my opinion. I think that loss to LSU in the SEC game killed something. (Did you guys put on a Voodoo Curse?:) ) I know UT beat Miami last year but not the same as beating them with Dorsey at the helm.

UT used to have a dominate O line. Not anymore. Used to have Wide Reciever U. Not anymore. We do have some talent though and I hope UT gets back to Physical play. Chris Hannon is a good Receiver getting ready to be hyped. He has skills and if Clausen wouldnt have focused on only 1 or 2 receivers he may have figured that out last year. But anyway we will struggle at QB but RB's look strong with Davis and Houston and LB's look real good. But at least we can brag about one thing:

We have the best punter in the SEC! Now thats lame.. :)

But seriously we hope to get it tunred around and back to the SEC champ game this year.

Thanks

4. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

MTn,

hey bud! This is RobtheVol from voltalk !

Your the reason I wondered over here. You came in our house and made a classy post, I thought I would reciprocate And yeah Crompton looks REAL good. Running backs deep? Yeah Vincent is good. I think we stack up comparably with Houston, Riggs, and Davis. That is if we ever get back to having a good O line.

Good to see ya though. I forgot to put your name in the referrer box. I guess I should have. My bad..

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what's the true UT fanbase think of Fulmer? I know his record surpasses even Spurrier in some SEC categories but i also know how fans turn quickly. Do you see him as an excellent recruiter and an average gameday coach as many around the country do?

also is tee martin your starting qb this year being that bum manning couldn't win it all.

6. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

first off, love the sarcasm Tirk, nice avatar.. lol

Second, honestly Yes I see Fulmer as a guy that has become to close to the vest and average at game time coaching. But he is a GREAT recruiter. By the way to many players have been throwing tantrums and not playing well I would say yes he is losing some control. The thing is when he was the Offensive Coordinator he was a gambler a little. Look back over the late 80's and early 90's

Carl Pickens, Dale Carter, Alvin Harper, Andy Kelly,

Those guys lit it up. Fulmer was their O Coordinator. So I think he has gotten soft....But then again he turned it around in 98 with a defense and strong team so who knows.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think it all starts with the QB in your offense and clausen couldn't get it done last season. True your O-line wasn't what it has been in the past several years but I have to say that in several of the games I saw you guys play that Clausen looked kind of lost. But if not for the total collaspe in the Peach Bowl 2 years in a row you guys would be looking pretty good still. What's the feelings about those 2 games. I thought maybe the first one was because the team thought they deserved a better bowl, but then I thought they would come out gang busters last season in the Peach, was totally wrong.

8. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

I tell ya what.. it was the same in both games. Remember the first Peach Bowl? Troy Fleming is on his cell phone during a game in which UT is getting killed.

BAD Karma. BAD Coaching.

Tennessee has played smoke in mirrors with talent the last few years but instead of fight through it and get tough they have fallen big time. My take is this, there is something rotten in team chemistry in Knoxville. As an Alum I can tell you I am disappointed. It is not that UT went 10-3 last year. thats not a bad record. It is in HOW they lost. Getting blown out is not the way UT usely plays.. There is something wrong.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually i also believe Clausen was a detriment as your starter. he was indecisive even when he had protection and seemed to be thinking instead of simply reacting.

Fulmer seemed to rely on his old style when UT's lines on both sides of the ball were purely dominant instead of seeing it for what it was and that was overmatched against the top tier teams. Not so sure why he has such a hard time adjusting but see the SECCG when Mauck ran 20 qb draws and nothing but daylight ahead of him.

great talent makes any coach look good...its when he lacks talent he needs to make his mark and let the guys play.

10. Shadeauxcaster

Shadeauxcaster Founding Member

Your Analysis confirms my suspicions

I would not have said it because I dont have enough information nor seen Tenn play enough to form more than impression, but your description of your team matches what my observations over the last 2 years have led me to suspect.

What about all the "snitching on Bama" mess? Has that controversy contributed to the "something wrong"? I don't know anything, just curious?