Helmets

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GasMan, Aug 20, 2003.

1. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

They sell the helmets in the bookstore after every season? Wish Auburn did something like that...

2. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I used to be an equipment manager for Northeast. We used to go around every friday night and replace all the decals. Players there had one helmet for both practice and the games. We would also put Johnson wax on them to make them shine. I think some of the larger universities have a practice helmet and a game helmet.

I must tell you that the average fan has no idea how much work goes on in the background to support these athletic teams.

Most coaches put in 60 to 70 hours a week easy. Equipment managers, trainers, lawn care for the fields. Being an equipment manager I had my schooling and room and board paid for but i once figured it out: If i had just worked at Burger King in my off hours from school i would have made three to four times the money and had more free time. But i wouldnt trade the experiences i got and the friends i made. I learned to work hard and took pride in what i did to help the team.

3. GasMan

GasMan Founding Member

LSUGRAD00, it sounds like you got a lot more cooperation than I did from the Gift Center. I wanted to get a helmet last year, but they would never tell me when they were going to get them, and they declined to take my name and number to let me know. I ended up going out of town for a few days, and of course when I got back all the helmets they had left were pretty beat up; it made me kind of upset. This summer I called every two or three days to ask, that'll teach 'em. I think I realy lucked out - the helmet is in pretty good shape, with a 9 on the back and a HENDERSON label tape on the inside. They never told me they might have others next week. I got Jason Spadoni's helmet for my brother, it's a little nicked up. The Academically Ineligible helmet. I'm going to pursue some people I know in the athletic dept. to try to follow up on this Bluegrass Miracle thing.

4. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

For anyone interested the helmets from last years team went on sale this morning. They are located in the gift shop by the tiger cage.

I went down there to look at them but with construction and school starting today campus was a freaking Zoo. So I decided to go back later. Anyway i thought some members might like to know.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

I'd rather save some money and get the full-sized throwback.

6. lsugrad00

That's cool, but you realize that these are the same helmets that the tigers wore when they took the field against OU in the sugar bowl?

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I got my white helmet on ebay.

8. lsugrad00

I LOVE the white helmets. I bought a replica a couple months back. It's not as nice as having the real thing but from a distance you'd never know.

9. Justin Credible

Justin Credible Founding Member

Tiger Gift Center.....

please note that the Gift Center located by gate 5 has temporarily moved to the site over by Mike's cage due to stadium construction.

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I have a helmet that was worn in the Illinois Sugar Bowl, I have no idea who wore it, but I am sure it was someone who did not play much, because there was very little damage to the helmet.