Henderson ahead of Clayton in the draft?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BayouBomber, Mar 20, 2004.

1. BayouBomber

BayouBomber Founding Member

Pasquarelli thinks it could happen

Just what the 2004 draft needed, right, even more wide receiver prospects turning in terrific performances in their individual campus workouts. Led perhaps by Ohio State standout Michael Jenkins, a huge (6-feet-4, 217 pounds) and aggressive wideout most viewed as a second-round choice until this week, a cadre of receivers have really upgraded their stock. Jenkins torched the 40-yard sprint, with times of 4.38 and 4.42, and demonstrated better pure receiving skills than some scouts felt he possessed. Some are now talking about him as a legitimate first-rounder. Devery Henderson of LSU might conceivably be chosen ahead of more high profile teammate Michael Clayton after clocking under 4.4 in both his 40s this week. Another receiver with huge physical dimensions, P.K. Sam of Florida State, twice ran in the mid-4.4s. Samie Parker of Oregon, who posted some of the fastest times at the combine last month, duplicated that effort in his "pro day," twice running in the mid-4.3s. And relatively unknown Maurice Mann of Nevada ran a 4.47 and caught the ball flawlessly. As the legion of intriguing wide receivers continues to expand, some teams might rethink their draft strategies since it is now apparent there will be viable candidates at the position into the third round.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1763194

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

You heard it from me first a couple months ago, but i was laughed of the board. although i also said clayton would go lower than it looks like he will

3. friday

friday Founding Member

once again, len pastabelli speaking from his stomach not his head. no way, henderson gets picked before clayton. although, if a team falls in love with his speed, wierder things happen on draft day...i'll take claytons football skills over henderson's speed any day.

4. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

I really don't think Devery will be taken earlier than MC. MC is a great big physical receiver that alot of NFL GMs like. Last years rookie of the year, Bolden, from Arizona ran in the 4.7s in his combine last year. He tore up NFL defenses last year. Speed is good, but in the NFL there are alot of very fast DBs, so its nice to have a big physical guy with good hands.

5. LSUBlitz245

LSUBlitz245 Founding Member

You never know, may be Henderson just might make it before Clayton, i doubt it though. Clayton is a physical player, more than Henderson is, but like I said before..
    YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!!

6. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

It honestly depends on what kind of WR a team needs. Devery is a vertical player, while clayton is an over the middle, physical player kind of like Hines Ward. That is why Dallas wanted to trade Galloway for Keyshawn since D had only vertical catchers.

7. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

It really could go either way. Just because one gets pick first doesn't mean that he's better than the other also. Look as last year, the Cardinals took Calvin Pace in the middle of the first when the rest of the league had a 2nd-3rd round grade on him. Some team may fall in love with Devery's speed and pick him way earlier than most would have expected. Some team may fall in love with Claytons relentlessness, size, motor, and pure ability and draft him higher than most expected. The draft is a crap shoot and everyone's opinion is different. Personally I see Clayton as a late 1st rounder and Henderson as a early-mid 2nd rounder.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

some coaches are addicted to 40 times and look specifically for that speed.... Vermeil has that reputation I believe. there are a lot more I can't remember.