Herbstreit's Top 5 Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

They weren't that impressive because of an underachieving QB. But experience goes a very long way at skill positions. And how, despite not living up to his freshman campaign, is JV not 'proven?'
    Well, Ok then. Have it your way. I guess we won't carry that swagger into next year. By all accounts, I don't understand why you wouldn't want that to be the case, but to each his own. And by your line of reasoning re: Broussard, JR isn't near 100%, either. Therefore, I can only imply that you're suggesting a question mark at that position, as you are at RB? That would strike me as odd, given the original comment in question.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

herbstreit is turning into trev alberts.

3. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

WV Football 06 Schedule.
    Marshall
    Buffalo
    Maryland
    East Carolina
    Mississippi State
    Syracuse
    Connecticut
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Pitt
    USF
    Rutgers

I see two teams that may give West Virginia trouble and that is Marshall and Louisville. I think that they will be highly ranked in the pre-season polls and with their schedule, I do not see them losing until the bowl game.

As for Miami, I think that with a new coaching staff and the beating they took last year at the hands of LSU, they will take care of business this year. If your prediction is true about them losing their swagger, that would make my decade.

As for LSU, we need to beat FLA, AUB and TENN on the road. This will be very tough, but I am a homer and I think that if LSU can get a good performance out of the O-Line, LSU will be undefeated until bowl time.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The WRs made him look worse, but by the same token he sometimes made the whole offense look worse.

Well he has a torn ACL for one, and 2 he isn't a running back that can take us to a championship. He can help, but we would be in serious trouble if he were our best back.

It isn't a matter of what I want, but what I expect to happen. I think you over-rate Flynn and under-rate JaMarcus. My opinion is that they are about equal, and I trust the coaches.

JaMarcus will start tossing the ball this week, and is very realistically expected to make a full recovery. On the other hand, Broussard quit the team because his rehab wasn't going as well as hoped. It is unclear when his knee will be back to full strength and whether he will be able to be an every-down type back by this coming season.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

On paper, yes. However last time WVU was ranked high they flopped. Was it coincidence? Maybe, but I think they'll underperform once again. Their schedule does give them a big advantage though.

Tennessee is not a game I worry about. I think they'll be much improved from last year, but after what happened last year I think LSU will want revenge. That's one thing I'm curious about Miles, is whether his teams come back with a vengeance the next year.

Florida and Auburn will be very, very tough games. Auburn scares me the most, mostly because we haven't had much success playing them in their house the past few years.

Arkansas is also a team I worry about every year. They seem to give us a great game when the SECCG is on the line for us.

6. Contained Chaos

Right. And it's reasonable to assume that the WRs will learn from their mistakes. Thus, the experience factor.
    He seems to have lost a step or so. But, in his defense, he has led us to a championship.
    I don't think we're in any danger of that happening. The backfield is filthy loaded with young talent. Fortunately, RB is one position where true freshmen can make an immediate impact. I mean, LSU fans know this as well as anybody, right?
    I realize that. And from what I gather, you're telling me that you don't expect them to maintain the Peach Bowl swagger because Flynn won't be the starter. My hope is that the game served as the missing link for the WRs in terms of experience. They struggled most of the year, and shined against a great defense. Hopefully, that taste of success will stick with them.
    All I'm saying is that I really, really, really liked the way the offense was able to 'put it all together' late in the game vs N. Texas and obviously, the Peach Bowl. The common thread? Well, that's obvious. Personally, I'm all for the 'short leash' approach. The teams most recent success came with Matt at the helm, so I see no reason why we shouldn't stick with that and see how it goes. If that's not so well, JRs only a few steps away from Miles.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

They didn't get much better from their freshman year to their sophmore year. Is it the WR coach? Was it just the hurricane? I guess we'll see, but I don't think their improvement is a given just yet. Hopefully I'll change my mind after the Spring game.

He won't have the benefit of that powerfull O-line, and yes he has - but I don't think he can again.

I agree. I'm not particularly worried about the RB position, however there still has to be a degree of uncertainty about it because we don't know what we'll get.

I think the team will retain some of the swagger, but I just inferred that you thought the swagger was due to Flynn. I think Flynn, Hester, and our WRs will benefit from it. I just don't know to what degree and whether it will matter much for Flynn (relative to him being a starter).

Well JaMarcus did manage to win 10 games. Even if you think it was in spite of him, most would agree - most notably, the coaches.

8. Contained Chaos

And in 2004, the offense was frequently underwhelming as well. Hell, Marcus Randall took most of the snaps. That's why I made the point about the Miami game. The group never had the experience of going out and just throttling another really good team like that. Perhaps it's taken them 'over the hump,' so to speak.
    Think about it long enough, and you can always reach that conclusion about a particular position, regardless of who you have coming in. In 2004, who expected Jason Campbell to explode like that? And heading into last season, didn't we all feel pretty confident that O-line was going to be the least of our worries? In this same thread, you're bestowing a lot upon teams like USC that have recruited really well the past few years, despite missing most of their key skill players from last season. In certain, and not quite as critical areas, we're in a similar position.
    I do think that. Now, that's not to say that they couldn't maintain it with another QB. But, either way you cut it, he was definitely the QB when they finally hit their stride.
    Most would agree with what? That he won 10 games?

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I've talked to a handful of coaches who have attended practices at Auburn this spring and to a man they say they are going to be good. I expect AU to be considered the team to beat in the West this season.

Notre Dame...I haven't looked at their schedule...but did catch the middle of a conversation a few weeks ago talking about it looking like a pretty easy "row to hoe."

What needs to be faced with ND is no matter what is going on with their program, no matter how difficult their schedule may look...voters, if given the opportunity to vote for them, will.

I recall a conversation a few years back with a voter who had ND ranked pretty high during the first part of the football season. I asked him, "why? Do you have that much faith in Ty?" His response was simple, but wasn't astute.

"It's Notre Dame. If you can vote for them. You do."
    "Why?"
    "Like I said" he quickly resonded, "It's Notre Dame."

There are a lot of teams getting early respect because of their coach, their history, with a few other intangibles mixed in to that equation.

Does South Carolina deserve that high of a ranking? As far as a team is concerned, no. But, there's a coach that is getting the votes...not the team.

Ohio State. Seems right.

West Virginia...in a conference that should lead to another 10 win season for them. Rich Rodriguez is a hell of a coach.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

W Virginia has a smart coach and a strong system in place. I don't see them going anywhere for a while. Louisville will probably be strong too. Look for Idaho to suck, but not as bad as usual, and Boise St will start a steady decline. Colorado might return with Boise St's coach taking the helm, though I doubt there will be a 1 year turn around. Did Fresno keep their coach? Wyoming's coach is hot; ok, maybe lukewarm. The Horned Frogs will probably be good. Toledo continues winning. :confused: Making stuff up as I go...

As long as Miami keeps that coach, they suck. Virginia Tech will probably be the ACC team making the most noise. Clemson solid. Florida St will win more than they lose. I'm not impressed with Maryland.

Oklahoma will probably make a resurgence and Texas will take a small dive but still be around the top 10. VY was the difference. Big 12 won't suck as bad this season with Nebraska slowly learning to throw, Kansas and Baylor stronger than ever. Kansas St, Iowa St, and Oklahoma St, :dis:. Texas A&M --> down the toilet with Fran. Texas Tech puts up big numbers passing, nothing more. Is Brad Smith still QB at Missouri? Maybe they'll do something for a change.

Florida/S Carolina, Georgia, Tenn, Kentucky, Vandy.
    LSU/Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi St, Ole Miss.

Pac10... maybe Arizona? California should be pretty good. Oregon/Oregon St/Arizona St mediocre. USC loses at least 1.

Whose who in the Big10? Ohio St/Iowa/Michigan; did coke bottle glasses retire from Penn St yet? Wisconsin replaces a legend, Minnesota wins big early and then does nothing. Purdue and Michigan St, ho-hum. Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois.

Notre Dame will be top 10. And deserve it.