Here We Go Again: 2 Big 10 Teams in Top 5

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TC, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

My guess is Wisconsin and Ohio State wouldn't be ranked in the top five, if the former top five teams had done their job.

And to the point that teams get high rankings early in the season because of their name... what a surprise... given that's been happening for about 30 years.

The South Florida's of the world always spend a few years proving they actually belong.... unfair perhaps... but you guys would be having a conniption fit if South Florida had been ranked above Florida to start the season, right?

As the wonderboys of football continue to get upset, it speaks to the on-going parity in today's game. I think LSU this year is a true "separation" from the pack. There should be a handful of teams at the end with a realistic belief that they belong in the big game. I doubt seriously if I was a "born and bred LSU fan" that I would worry a whole lot about who is number 5 in week four.

2. vector4

vector4 Founding Member

lol if USF had been ranked ahead of FL to start the season I would be impressed as hell because that means the voters actually KNEW something!

Instead we get these random rankings that end up being totally wrong and fraudulent.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Well at least one of them will have to drop in the polls because they play each other late in the year but I look for both to lose before they meet.

Ohio St and Wisconsin have not played anyone yet but the cupcake games were not gimmies either. tOSU game vs. Akron was close all game but they have looked a little better the last 2 weeks beating up on NW and Minn. They have a game next week against Purdue, MSU, Penn St., Illini, Wisconsin, and @ UM.

Wisconsin has been playing awful against poor competiton. Barely beating UNLV, Citadel, Iowa, and MSU. They could lose at Illini next week and they will lose @ Penn St. in two weeks and then close out the season against tOSU and UM.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

certainly no surprise but still sux. cfb would be much better if there were no polls til half-way thru the season. obviously the voters are getting worse at this ranking thing.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Five SEC schools in the top 12 ain't bad at all.

6. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Especially since LSU\USC USC\UGA have played each other. That speaks pretty well for the strength of the conference. All of the upsets helped a lot.

7. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Ohio State has never beat an SEC team in a bowl game.:nope:

And after watching Michigan State put up some offense, Wisconsin looks like they would lose to at least half of the teams in the SEC. But they are now protected by that Big Ten schedule after matching mighty Citadel 21-21 at the half.

Ohio State is lucky to be in the top 10 and Wisconsin is just plain very average!

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Perhaps if the SEC had a winning record over the past five years... and thru games to date this year... against the Big Ten, PAC 10, Big Easy or the ACC, more people from these other conferences would be more willing to bow in awe at the vast, vast, vast, separation of which you speak.
    The SEC is something like 10 games under .500 versus other BCS conferences in that span.
    The record would show the SEC is not the only conference that can play the game.

9. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Let's look at when it counts, Hawkeye. BCS bowls games since 2001:

SEC: 7-1 (Only loss a 38-35 shootout, Georgia vs. West Virginia)

Pac10: 5-2 (4 wins by USC)

Big East: 4-2 (2 wins by Miami before they switched to ACC)

Big 10: 4-6 (and two TROUNCINGS last year)

Big 12: 3-6

ACC: 0-6

Case closed.:lsup:

2 people like this.
  10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

except for the NC game, how do those count any more than other bowl games?

comparing conferences by h2h bowl records accomplishes nothing.