Herman Johnson article...

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by PlaneauxTiger, Jan 30, 2004.

1. PlaneauxTiger

PlaneauxTiger Founding Member

Article from the Denton paper...

Football: Johnson decides to ‘geaux’ to LSU
    ‘Big Herm’ spurns Oklahoma to go back to home state

Herman Johnson was offered a college football scholarship on the day he was born, according to his mother. Exactly 19 years later, Johnson finally accepted a full ride.

Johnson, who grew from a 15-pound, 14-ounce newborn into a 6-8, 380-pound offensive tackle, celebrated his birthday on Thursday by holding up a size XXXL LSU football T-shirt at a press conference to announce his oral commitment.

"I had decided I was going to play for whichever school won that game," said Johnson.

Johnson said another factor weighed heavily in his choice to become a Tiger. LSU was his late father’s favorite team.

"My dad grew up watching LSU," said Johnson, who was about to begin his sophomore year when his father passed away. "I used to watch their games with him when I was little. That definitely had an impact on my decision, too."

Johnson’s mother, Karen Johnson, said she had a feeling her son would choose LSU.

"LSU wasn’t the first school Herman got a letter from," said Herman’s mother. "But when that LSU letter finally came, Herman got a sparkle in his eye."

Prior to his senior year, Johnson was known more for his size than his skills as a football player. ESPN.com ranked the mammoth senior as the top offensive tackle prospect in the country before he had even played a down at the position. Johnson failed to make first-team all-district at offensive guard as a junior.

However, any questions about Johnson’s ability as an offensive tackle were put to rest his senior season. Johnson was dominating, recording a school-record 38 pancake blocks without allowing a sack.

The Denton senior was named first-team all-area by The Dallas Morning News and earned the Denton Record-Chronicle’s Offensive Player of the Year award — a rarity for an offensive lineman. Rivals.com, a recruiting service, currently ranks Johnson as the No. 30 recruit in the nation.

"Herman wouldn’t be getting all the recognition he’s received if he didn’t have the type of year he had," said Denton football coach Gary Fischer. "This is just fantastic. Herman was in a position where any school he picked would have been great, but I think LSU will be a great fit for him."

Johnson does not plan to redshirt next season and said the LSU coaches told him he should immediately compete for the team’s starting right tackle position.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day a recruit can sign a national letter-of-intent is Wednesday

2. phatcat

phatcat Founding Member

Thanks for posting the Denton article, PlaneauxTiger. It's a great read. Herman Johnson should prove to be a great addition to the tigers squad.

3. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

"LSU wasn’t the first school Herman got a letter from," said Herman’s mother. "But when that LSU letter finally came, Herman got a sparkle in his eye."

That is what it's all about!