Herman Johnson is a TIGER!!!

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by DallasTiger80, Jan 29, 2004.

1. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Alright guys, I merged all of the "Herm is a tiger" posts to clean up the forum. It looks a little repetitive in the thread, but I think we can all deal with it. Anyways, welcome to the Tiger family Herm!!!

2. TexasYat

TexasYat Freshman

Greetings, follow Tigers

My lovely daughter is on the Denton High School drill team, “The Fillies”, which performs pre-game and halftime at the school’s football games. Sort of a high school version of the Kilgore Rangerettes. As proud papa, I have faithfully attended the games this past season, and in the process I got to see a lot of Herman Johnson…all 10 games. Although I have spent many glorious Saturday nights in Tiger Stadium, I do not profess to have the in-depth football knowledge that lots of you have. Nor did I keep detailed stats on Herman and the “Denton Broncos”. These are just some of my general impressions.

Firstly, I just found it entertaining to see Herman standing on the sidelines with his normal-sized high school teammates. It’s like Gulliver among the Lilliputians. (Anybody remember the old Baby Huey cartoons?) His current hair style is a big old ‘fro, which makes him look even taller.

As you can see from a photo that someone has posted, Herman could stand to lose a few pounds around the mid-section, but on the whole he does not look fat. He just looks BIG. He is quick and agile. He does not strike me as particularly muscle-bound (haven’t seen him flex his ‘ceps, so I’m not really sure.) I think that he will benefit from the nutrition and strengthening regimen that he will certainly receive.

Regarding his weight, I know only what I’ve seen here and in the media. What is he..600….700 pounds? (Just kidding) Whatever it is, his weight may not change much. The loss of a few fat pounds would probably be offset by some new muscle pounds.

On lots of high school teams, kids sometimes play both ways, but I do not recall seeing Herman play any position other than left OT. I was really hoping to see him play on the defensive side, where I think he would have been a one-man wrecking crew. But on the offensive line, it’s hard for one guy, even a guy as talented as Herman, to make a huge difference. In pocket passing situations, it’s a team effort, and a penetration of any part of the pocket can result in a sack. The Denton Broncos finished 7-3 in a fairly challenging district, but I think they could have done better. But, line Herman up with a bunch of other big, talented guys, as will happen at LSU, and you’ve got a formidable force.

It’s great to see Herman commit to the Tigers. BTW, the team colors of the Denton Broncos are purple and gold (although it’s more of a metallic gold than LSU’s shade). Maybe that influenced his decision??? Also, my daughter has a class with Herman, and on the day after the Sugar Bowl, she wore her LSU shirt to school. That’s probably what clinched the deal. :)

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Thanks for info Yat, enjoy the board

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

6' 7" -- #67 I like that ! Maybe by the time he gets to LSU he will need #68 !

5. LSULSULSU

LSULSULSU Founding Member

I went to LSU in 1976 & LSU was somewhere in the top 20th during my college carreer. Most of our linemans are a lot smaller. I only followed LSU football so I cant speak for the whole college football.

We got a nosegard from NC. I think his name is Lance Smith. 6'1" & 270 lb it is a big deal. He has great career at LSU & in NFL.

LSU later recruit someone as Bubba (I cant even spell his name) & he supposed to be the biggest baby of his state. I lost track of him tho.

Are college football players getting a lot bigger or we are sooo good we get the biggest & the best in college football?

BTW, welcome aboard 'THA HOUSE'. What's a nickname. I LOVE IT.

6. philter

philter Founding Member

A dominating offensive lineman can affect the game as much as a dominating defensive lineman imo. With Herman blocking for him, all of JV's leftside runs have the capacity to break it big...if running for 5-7 yards per carry doesn't affect the game then I don't know what does :)