Hey Snorton...

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by diamondheadtiger, Apr 14, 2004.

1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Any recommendations on purchasing a smoker, and if so, some how to's on smokin a turkey or roast. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Funny you should ask.

I just bought one Friday after doing a lot of research. After reading many BBQ forums the general consensus seemed to be the Weber Smokey Mountain if you're looking in the $200. Great quality. Great heat and smoke control. For anything better you're looking in the $600-$1000 range.

Check out HomeBBQ.com

PS- Anyone in Baton Rouge should check out the new Goodwood Hardware. Practically half of their new store is BBQ and smoker supplies. Everything you need.

3. BRETT

Also, if you're going to do any type of poultry or lean pork, brine it first. There is no other way to go. Not even Injecting can provide the moisture than brining does at the cellular level. Not to mention the flavors that get infused with it.

4. diamondheadtiger

Thanks for the info Brett. I been wanting one for a while. I did'nt want to go buy one of these $39 jobs from Home Depot not knowing anything about em. I ate deer roast cooked in one a few yrs back and it was excellent.

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Here's a pic of my smoker. It's made by Brinkmann.

[​IMG]

Brine?

What do you mean by brine?

6. diamondheadtiger

Do you use it often?

7. diamondheadtiger

You using Dial up? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

8. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

If you are talking to me.........................

Do I use it often?
    No, I've had it 3 years. I've only used it once. I smoked a pork tenderloin in it. Smoking is kind of an all day deal. You have to monitor the fire and heat constantly. I don't have time for that.

Do you use dial up?
    No, I'm on a cable modem. What prompted that question?

9. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

i've got to rely on the experts since i don't do alot of smoking.....read below on a post (smokers chat room) from a guy that enters smoking competitions.....price for a small good quality smoker can be had for $200 to $300.

BostonPoke....I don't know what your budget is, but I would suggest you check out the Backwoods Smoker. They make backyard cookers (Patio Model = $280 + shipping and the Party Model = $650 + shipping) as well as larger competition cookers. I have the Party model and have used it in competition. Its about 21" square and 44" tall, but it contains six racks. I've cooked 15 racks of ribs on it and I've cooked 10 pork butts on it. If budget is a concern, then I would probably recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain. Its a great cooker for under $200. Hope this helps.

10. BRETT

A brine is basically a salt + liquid solution that you soak the meat in. The standard is around 3/4 to 1 cup of salt per gallon of water.

Osmosis occurs. Since there is more salt in the water than the meat it attempts to equalize by pulling salt into the meat. Some other chemistry takes place as well. The salt denatures the meat proteins making it more tender, while at the same time trapping moisture. When you add herbs and spices to your brine, those flavors are also pulled into the meat and trapped, infusing the meat with whatever you're made your brine with.

You can add red pepper flakes, garlic, rosemary, vinegar, beer, apple cider, whatever you want.

A good brine for pork is
    • 3/4 cup of salt
    • 1 gallon of water
    • 2 Beers
    • Tablespoon sugar
    • 4-5 Black whole peppercorns
    • 1 bayleaf
    • pinch of red pepper flakes
    • 1-2 garlic cloves
    Put it all in a large enough container so that it completely covers the meat. You can do ribs, loins, chops or roasts. 12 hour minimum but 24 hours is better.

Just rinse it well with water before you cook and season it as you like although you don't need nearly as much salt as you normally do. You might want to try brining some pork chops first to get the hang of the salt content. Personally I prefer a less salty brine which is why I go with the 3/4 cup instead of 1.

I will almost guarantee any good pork chop or loin you get in a restaurant has been brined first. Chef's little secret.