Highsmith leaving?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BigJ31, Jan 18, 2005.

1. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

I heard a rumor Ali Highsmith is transferring. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? I sure hope not, Ali seemed like he was going to do good things for us in the future.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

heard from whom?

3. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

It was posted on some other site earlier today. Supposedly transfering, repoted from someone out of Miami. I'll believe it when I see it. Was today the first day of classes? I think we'll know for sure by then.

4. max

max Founding Member

I would be surprised. He is probably going to compete for a starting spot or at least be a top back up with alot of playing time and he is a sophomore and we have 4 senior LBs, so he is pretty much assured a starting spot as a junior. He would have to sit out if he transferred. It wouldn't make alot of sense unless he is flunking.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are always transfers, drop outs, and flunk outs this time of year. Often we don't learn about them until the players don't show up at spring practice. LSU can't comment publicly on a players academic status.

Some times you can gage how many departures the coach anticipates by how many recruits he signs over the 85-limit in a few weeks.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Seems as though any player that was not going to participate in spring drills would transfer before this semester started. I doubt that LSU actually makes too many announcements about players that have not enrolled for the semester although I have seen these kind of announcements before.

I would guess also that there may be some players who were considering transferring who will go through spring practice to see how they feel about Coach Miles and what he has in store for them and the team.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Well figure that?! Highsmith WAS a Miami committment 2 years ago but didn't make the proper scores to play as a Fresh. there. So he waited, passed some classes, and then came to us. He could have gone to Miami once eligible--but didn't.

8. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

It seems very unlikely that Highsmith sat out for so long that he could come to LSU, then he turns around and sits out another year to go to another school.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Just some thoughts about the rumors of current players transferring.

After the Sugar Bowl last year, Saban commented on how we had the BEST team chemistry of any team that he's ever been around. Said that players did not play for themselves, but rather played for one another. Travis Daniels said it best: "I play for the name on the side of my helmet, not the one on my back."

Last year, Spears and Webster echoed that "team first" mentality by choosing to stay on for their Sr. seasons.

This year, Whitworth and Niswanger have also followed suit.

Now, does the decisions of the these players, especially the last two, give ANYONE any indication that all of a sudden, the "team first" concept has disipated just because we changed head coaches? Saban recruited high-quality young men. Not immature, spoiled brats. ...at least that's what we've been shown via the decisions and actions of a number of our star players.

Spears, Daniels and Skyler have praised the talent that we will have for next season and a few quotes from guys like Skyler, about being "committed" to next year indicate that Saban's comments about our team's chemistry, is right on.

Anyone care to guess why ( and you'll have to excuse the example, I know it'll come off as a "biased" remark but I'll risk it), a team like the Patriots, seems to be drawn so much to LSU players--more so than any other team in the NFL?? Because the attitudes of BOTH the Patriot and LSU players parallel one another. Both teams, at one point or another, have been over-looked and under appreciated by analysts and the media. In the past, both teams have been matched up against opponents that appeared to be much stronger on paper (Pats vs Colts this past weekend and LSU vs OU in the Sugar Bowl). Sure both the Pats and LSU had/have star players. Sure they both had Pro-Bowlers and All-Americans...but even those guys were questioned. "How does Brady keep doing it?" ...."Chad Lavalais isn't the biggest guy around--how does he constantly end up making plays"?? The reason is simple: Because THOSE are the type of players that have that WILL TO WIN and are surrounded by teammates that have that same will.

So, hypothetically speaking, if the rumors of Carter and Highsmith and any other current Tiger player transferring are true, then my response is that I guess they aren't the type of character players we originally thought they were, and truthfully, they're probably better off someplace else. Because I want guys that bond together, play together, share the same will to win. Have that same LSU pride.

And if all of these players on our team now HAVE that pride. Have that "team chemistry", then none of them are going to transfer because we got a new coach. And if they do? Fine. I'm ok with it. I'll wish them well, but I won't hold any sorrow because if they left, it was an indication that they bailed on their Tiger teammates (Matt Stoltz's situation excluded). Saban recruited players to come to LSU and better themselves in every aspect--as an individual, as a player and as a student. He didn't want guys to come just for the sake of playing solely for Nick Saban. Spears, Whitworth, Niswanger, Webster and quotes made by Glenn Dorsey, prove that.

:geauxtigs :crystal: :geauxtigs