Hilliard?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pennsylvania, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

Just wondering what you all think happened to Kenny Hilliard. I thought he was in position to take over the number one running back spot, and then he seemed to disappear.
    Not taking anything away from Hill. I really like the kid, and am excited about him going forward. But last year and early this year, Hilliard always provided a spark, and toughness when he came into the game....and that seemed to go away as the season went on.
    Did he shrink as Hill's position as starter became more evident?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's a question a lot of people are asking. The best guesses are an undisclosed injury or he's gotten himself into Les' doghouse somehow.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think Red may be on to something with that last part. To me, it looked like Hilliard was running the football with a fear he would cough it up. I'm wondering if he fumbled at practice some. I can't remember who we were playing but he had a run close to the goal line where it looked like he could have easily just reached the ball out over the plane, and instead he covered it up with both hands and arms like he was trying to smuggle a child out of somewhere that was getting attacked by gunfire, and was tackled between the 1 and goal line.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not saying this is definitely the issue but happened at the exact same time. Hilliard's baby mama had twins during the season. The very next week production went down. My theory is that just like when he came out of high school and had a very difficult time getting adjusted to classes at LSU and had to miss practices, meeting etc... he may of had a similar adjustment. Twins may take a little more time though. lol

5. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Looking at ypc per game vs BCS conference opponents, Hilliard has done poor all year other than v Miss State. Sophomore slump, happens plenty

Washington
    7.21 on 18 - Blue
    4.80 on 10 - Ford
    4.75 on 8 - Ware
    3.54 on 13 - Hilliard
    None - Hill

Auburn
    5.63 on 16 - Ware
    5.13 on 8 - Ford
    4.00 on 10 - Hilliard
    None - Hill

Florida
    4.00 on 2 - Hill
    3.50 on 4 - Ford
    3.20 on 5 - Hilliard
    2.63 on 8 - Ware

South Carolina
    7.29 on 17 - Hill
    5.86 on 7 - Ford
    3.93 on 14 - Ware
    3.30 on 10 - Hilliard

Texas A&M
    7.09 on 11 - Ford
    7.06 on 18 - Hill
    1.88 on 8 - Ware
    1.67 on 3 - Hilliard

Alabama
    4.33 on 3 - Ford
    3.69 on 29 - Hill
    1.86 on 7 - Ware
    None - Hilliard

Miss State
    5.80 on 5 - Hilliard
    5.00 on 1 - Ford
    3.20 on 15 - Hill
    2.60 on 5 - Ware

Ole Miss
    6.88 on 8 - Ware
    5.00 on 4 - Ford
    3.85 on 20 - Hill
    -1.00 on 1 - Hilliard

Arkansas
    4.28 on 18 - Hill
    2.67 on 3 - Hillard
    2.44 on 9 - Ware
    -2.00 on 1 - Ford

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I spoke to Tommy Minton about this very issue tonight. bhelm has it right; the birth was a big distraction for him. He was blowing assignments because he wasn't focused. Miles, it is said, understood the issue, but by the time things settled down and he got his head back in the game, Hill had emerged. Physically, there are no problems.

BTW, Miles and Corey Raymond were in town earlier in the week recruiting WR Daylon Charlot for the '15 class.

7. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

That all makes sense. He had all 6 of his TD's and 2/3 of his rushing yards in the first 3 games....then he disappeared.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I can certainly see where the birth of not one, but two, children--especially with his young age--could be very disruptive to his focus.

1BIGTIGER likes this.
  9. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

He was awesome 2012. He & A. Ware defeated B. Petrino 2012 in the 3rd by bull (North-South) running which Ark had no answer for. This victory over #3 Arkansas inspired Gunner Kiel to recommit to LSU.

10. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

I love the way, last year and this year, it seemed every couple of games someone new would take over as the go to guy being the most productive in that game, that's flat out scary that in any given game one of 5 different running backs can jump up and rush for over 100 yards on you. That is one sick and deadly rotation of backs.....always a fresh pair of legs in the game!!