Hmm... I wonder if.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Swerved, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Since now the strength of schedule is out of the picture, or rather way less of a factor anyway... Do you think that Saban and Co. are going to do waht they normally wouldn't do and just run up the score more? I know in the past, he has tried to avoid doing that with the exception of a few choice games. I mean, to me, it would almost make sense... being that less importance is placed on scheduling now, the first logical way to impress those media boneheads is to leave the dogs on the attack.... What do yall think?

Geaux Tigers!!

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think the BCS,m SOS, etc. will be the farthest thing from Nick's mind during a game. He will play it the way he always does. He will in backs after the first series of the second half if we crushing a team. If the back ups screw up they come out.

3. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

It's just not in Saban's nature to run up the score. The exception maybe being the fake field goal against Florida 2 years ago. I remember the shyt eatin grin on Nick's face on that one.

4. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

I agree. I think Saban's way too classy to run up the score as did Spurrier. He's obviously not afraid to blow away an opponent, because we certainly did that last year, but after a comfortable lead, the backups did come in. I also think he's too smart for that, especially after what happened to Mauck two years ago in the fourth quarter against Florida. That's not going to happen again. Saban never seemed too worried about the BCS and what the pollsters thought last year, so I really don't think the changes will affect how he plays his game. He'll just win games, and let the polls worry about themselves. That's what I think, not that it counts for much.

:lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup: :lsug: :lsup:

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Man, that's a great question ... and a good one to ask coach

You ought to have someone ask Saban himself this one ... really think about this for a moment ... LSU is in the hunt for another National Championship ...

Do you continue to build up team depth with invaluable game experience for your underclassmen after you get the usual 3-TD lead and start subbing away ... often as early as the 2nd quarter ... This has been Nick's M.O. during his tenure at LSU

OR

Do you "Stoops" :wink: to low levels and hang "half a hundred" on the poor bastids before you sub late in the game just to "WOW" the pollsters.

I suppose if the situation afforded itself ... tight race in the polls in the last half of the season with only weaker teams left on the schedule ...

Troy State, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Ole Miss, Arkansas

I believe it would be in LSU's best interests in the polls to demonstrate a monster offense to match an undisputed #1 Defense ... and Saban would run up the score to assure LSU its rightful spot in the Orange Bowl

How does 55-24 sound ... again ... or better yet ... 55-0?

Since it is now "BACK TO POLLS" ... IT IS IN EFFECT ... NOW BACK TO MARGIN OF VICTORY ...

AND SABAN IS NO DUMMY ... great post swerve :thumb:

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

stoops, as spurrier runs it up but i feel its to cover the spread for those boosters. I know many coaches have pressure to make money for 'the boys' at the major programs. And once the bookmakers are aware, then those NU and UF lines of the 90s where a 60 line wasn't abnormal. Saban does it under the radar by accident. Obviously he could care less....til now maybe.

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I must say, it would give me some small amout of satisfaction.... but that's just me. I can see both sides of it though...

Geaux Tigers!

8. ramah

ramah Founding Member

$$$ :grin: $$$ :grin: $$$ :grin: $$$ :grin: $$$

Yeah, buddy

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

rofl. I would NOT want the media to start calling us the "best team ever" and then absolutely collapse ala OU if we regularly beat people by 50.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

AP Poll voters are no longer supposed to consider "margin of victory" in determining a teams ranking. This 1990's rule was supposed to inhibit a few teams (Spurrier's Florida for one) from their habit of putting up lopsided scores on overmatched opponents to improve rankings.